FitBit Ionic - is it dead?

Options
I posted this in the FitBit Group too, but I'm not sure how much traffic that group gets so I'm posting here too.

I have a FitBit Ionic. Purchased in January/February 2018. Wore for 10 months, sat on a shelf for 5 months, started wearing it again in April.

On Sunday, the touch screen stopped responding. Did a reboot (3 actually) and it started working again. Then Monday I noticed that it wasn't vibrating. Did another reboot and it was working. On Tuesday, it stopped working. The FitBit logo keeps flashing on the screen every 10 seconds or so and it never gets to the watch face. I tried a Factory Reset which was recommended by FitBit support, but it won't work.

Wondering, has anyone else had this happen? What was the outcome? I'm gonna be pissed if I have to replace a $250 watch after wearing it for less than 18 months.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I'm currently using a Charge 2 and I've never had an Ionic.

In my experience, I've been lucky if I get a whole year out of any Fitbit. Then again, I tend to smack them into doorways, columns, corners, or anything that sticks out.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised cuz Ive had a flex that's lasted me since 2013
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I posted this in the FitBit Group too, but I'm not sure how much traffic that group gets so I'm posting here too.

I have a FitBit Ionic. Purchased in January/February 2018. Wore for 10 months, sat on a shelf for 5 months, started wearing it again in April.

On Sunday, the touch screen stopped responding. Did a reboot (3 actually) and it started working again. Then Monday I noticed that it wasn't vibrating. Did another reboot and it was working. On Tuesday, it stopped working. The FitBit logo keeps flashing on the screen every 10 seconds or so and it never gets to the watch face. I tried a Factory Reset which was recommended by FitBit support, but it won't work.

Wondering, has anyone else had this happen? What was the outcome? I'm gonna be pissed if I have to replace a $250 watch after wearing it for less than 18 months.

I've only had the cheaper non-HR Fitbits, and never had one die. But before you replace it yourself, contact Fitbit Customer Service. They have been known to be pretty generous on occasion (I think it depends who reads your email). I know people who had their's fall off and get lost, and they just shipped them out a new one. At least can't hurt to try!
  • sdogg626
    sdogg626 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Following because I just got the Ionic. Also, as the above poster said, contact customer service. When my Flex died, they sent me a new one, no questions asked. When my Charge 2 died, they didn't send me a new one but gave me a great discount on the Ionic. That is the only reason I chose it, I don't think I would ever spend $250 on a watch.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I've only had the cheaper non-HR Fitbits, and never had one die. But before you replace it yourself, contact Fitbit Customer Service. They have been known to be pretty generous on occasion (I think it depends who reads your email). I know people who had their's fall off and get lost, and they just shipped them out a new one. At least can't hurt to try!

Last year, when it was about 2mths old I scratched the watch face and contacted them to see if it was repairable. They told me no, but did offer me 50% off a new one. I didn't see the point in buying a whole new watch at that time since it worked fine otherwise. I'm hoping at the very least for something similar this time, but I'm still upset. For this kind of money, I expect a product to last longer than a year-ish. Of course, this seems par for the course with so many things these days, the more "complicated" the product i.e. technology, the more disposable they seem to be. I actually refuse to buy a "fancy" washer and dryer for this very reason. Our set is as basic as it comes and has lasted for over 10 years. My Mom has been replacing her fancy-schmancy stackables every 3-4 years.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Oh definitely, it should NOT be dying yet! The more fancy something is, the more possibilities for something to go wrong I guess. I like to keep things as close to forever as possible, it's getting harder and harder...