Struggle to See Progress

Options
kathryn1391
kathryn1391 Posts: 100 Member
edited June 2019 in Motivation and Support
I have a photo from New Years Eve where i really first noticed my weight loss and how much slimmer i was in the face, its been my benchmark for noticing change for some time now. (this photo is my profile photo) Here is a photo taken last week:

tqd7m403h61n.png

the issue is, 6 months on i have continued to lose weight since then, and i'm realllly close to my goal, but i feel like i look bigger now than i was then.

Is this even possible, and what the hell can i do to stop feeling so low about it?

Replies

• J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately its very possible. I lost 20 pounds and my before and after photos are almost indistinguishable. This is one of the big struggles people deal with. They expect to look drastically different and when they don't they get discouraged. Do you weight train?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    It's a common struggle for a lot of people, if that helps. We get so used to looking at ourselves that changes are really hard to notice. I, personally, have a tendency to catch myself at a bad angle and perceive that as "how I really look" for some reason. It can make it seem like I've gained even though I haven't - the picture was just a better angle.
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I think it helps to take measurements. To be able to see the numbers. I didn't notice a change when I looked in the mirror but had lost 32 inches. Now side by side pictures help see it but the number is really what keeps me motivated.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    The photo in your profile picture is at a much better angle than the one in your post. That is why you make like how you appear better in it. The camera has a lot to do with how we look in photos.

To be honest your face looks thin in both photos. Your weight loss may be taking place in other areas of your body. We are always our own worst critics and the last to notice our own progress.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    The photo in your profile picture is at a much better angle than the one in your post. That is why you make like how you appear better in it. The camera has a lot to do with how we look in photos.

To be honest your face looks thin in both photos. Your weight loss may be taking place in other areas of your body. We are always our own worth critics and the last to notice our own progress.

To add onto this, the type of camera and distance from the camera, as well as the settings, can make a difference. http://www.danvojtech.cz/blog/2016/07/amazing-how-focal-length-affect-shape-of-the-face/
  • kathryn1391
    kathryn1391 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, i appreciate the support!
    I think i was just hoping to feel better at intervals, after the photo at New Years showing such changes and making me feel so good, but youre all right.
    I have been a steady weight for a little bit and need to amp it up again, but i have 9 months to hit my target of 5kg so i think ill take some pressure off myself and steady it out a bit so i have less time to risk putting it back on!