What should be my calorie deficit???

Options
According to my Omron Scale my resting metabolism Kcals are 1719. What would be a healthy deficit?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What did this site tell you when you did the set-up?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    i'd enter my stats in MFP and see what it gives. make sure to input a resonable rate of loss. 2lb/week is only for the very overweight/obese. use a realistic activity level (few people are sedentary) and eat back a reasonable estimate of your exercise calories

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • bishopjulia
    bishopjulia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    What did this site tell you when you did the set-up?

I set up this account a while ago. And changed my calorie intake. The Omron gives me a full body comp, MFP does not, so I’m asking based on my full body comp results.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    yeah, well the Omron scale should be taken with a very large dash of salt.

I mean, it really depends on your BMI and your activity level on a daily basis, not a bioimpedence scale (which are notoriously wrong.) All that thing is saying is, "Here's our guess of your resting metabolic rate," but you have to add in the exercise and other daily activity yourself to come up with a calorie goal.

All calculators and home machines use algorithms to calculate. Myfitnesspal uses one. If you're going to use Myfitnesspal, it makes sense to use it as it is designed. We don't have enough info about you to guess your calories.

Here:

From Help at the top of every page: How does MyFitnessPal calculate my initial goals?

• bishopjulia
    Options

I mean, it really depends on your BMI and your activity level on a daily basis, not a bioimpedence scale (which are notoriously wrong.) All that thing is saying is, "Here's our guess of your resting metabolic rate," but you have to add in the exercise and other daily activity yourself to come up with a calorie goal.

All calculators and home machines use algorithms to calculate. Myfitnesspal uses one. If you're going to use Myfitnesspal, it makes sense to use it as it is designed. We don't have enough info about you to guess your calories.

Here:

From Help at the top of every page: How does MyFitnessPal calculate my initial goals?

I set this account up awhile ago based on a different weight and activity level etc... is there a way to go back a re set it up? In the past the Omron has been very successful with me, it was used in conjunction with a personal trainer. I’m not asking for specifics because obviously you don’t have them, no one does. This is a community for discussion which is why I posted this question.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options

Here:

I set this account up awhile ago based on a different weight and activity level etc... is there a way to go back a re set it up? In the past the Omron has been very successful with me, it was used in conjunction with a personal trainer. I’m not asking for specifics because obviously you don’t have them, no one does. This is a community for discussion which is why I posted this question.

To the bolded, sure.

In the web version of MFP, you click the "My Home" tab, then "Goals" below that, and pick "guided setup". On the phone app, it's under the "Goals" menu item.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    According to my Omron Scale my resting metabolism Kcals are 1719. What would be a healthy deficit?

Your deficit should be from your TDEE, which includes your daily baseline activity and your purposeful exercise, not your resting number. How much of a deficit you can reasonably carry depends mostly on how far from a healthy weight you are.

If you don't want to use MFP, I'd use an online TDEE calculator. You should be losing less than 1% of your body weight per week, and once you are in the healthy weight range for your height, you should be aiming for 0.5-1 lb per week regardless.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options

Here:

But you don't subtract your calorie deficit from 1719, you would subtract it from 1719+your daily activity multiplier+your exercise

1719 is your RMR (or BMR it is sometimes called.) You don't create a deficit from your RMR, you create it from your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure.) The actual amount of your deficit depends on how much weight you need to lose.

Use the setup Goal that Ann suggested above. :)

You actually DID ask for a specific number in your first post _

• bishopjulia
    Options

Here:

But you don't subtract your calorie deficit from 1719, you would subtract it from 1719+your daily activity multiplier+your exercise

1719 is your RMR (or BMR it is sometimes called.) You don't create a deficit from your RMR, you create it from your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure.) The actual amount of your deficit depends on how much weight you need to lose.

Use the setup Goal that Ann suggested above. :)

You actually DID ask for a specific number in your first post _

Thanks everyone for their helpful advice , I will do all of the above ☺️☺️☺️

• bishopjulia
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Your deficit should be from your TDEE, which includes your daily baseline activity and your purposeful exercise, not your resting number. How much of a deficit you can reasonably carry depends mostly on how far from a healthy weight you are.

If you don't want to use MFP, I'd use an online TDEE calculator. You should be losing less than 1% of your body weight per week, and once you are in the healthy weight range for your height, you should be aiming for 0.5-1 lb per week regardless.

Thank you so much this was so helpful, and thank you for explaining the TDEE, It was something I didn't know... ☺️😉👍🏻