People on 1200 calories... do you eat any exercise calories back?

Options
2»

Replies

• Bioluminescentbeachh
    Bioluminescentbeachh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Glad you are boosting your calories. 1200 is indeed way too low for someone who is 5'10".

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Just read the whole thing. Thank u <3
  • Bioluminescentbeachh
    Bioluminescentbeachh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    With diet eating 1200 calories works for this body. Exercising 2 hours a day, biking approx. 10 miles per hour on
    a stationary bike. After exercise, burn 432 calories but eat back half of those calories. So 1000 calories is usually consumed after exercise. Drink loads of water and being vegan eat lots of tvp. So low on carbs and fat and high on protein. This body is 5'6", 121 lbs and goal is 115.

You sound so proud of yourself to be netting below the bare minimum and having a goal that puts you right on the borderline of being underweight for your height; that's kind of scary to be honest. I hope for your sake you aren't using a food scale so your intake is off. If not, what "works" for that body now will most likely result in hair loss, frayed fingernails, exhaustion, and a slew of other issues down the line.

Did you personally experience this on a 1200 day diet?

I'll chime in here on that question too.

I lost a lot of hair, my fingernails were peeling, the skin on the ends of my fingers and toes were cracked and bleeding, I was fatigued and almost fainted more than one time on a treadmill, I was sleeping 10 hours a day, I couldn't concentrate. I had been eating 1200 PLUS Exercise calories (all of them) for three or four months when that began to be a problem. I had started at 220 pounds, 5'8". I lost about 35-40 pounds before that started to happen.

I did some reading and decided to raise my base calories to 1600. I also started eating one day per week at maintenance, so around 2000. I still ate my exercise calories as suggested by myfitnesspal's database. I started to feel better, and I was able to workout in a reasonable way without bonking.

At some point I decided to go to 1550 and use a flat 300 calories per hour for moderate exercise. I stayed with that for the last 30ish pounds down to 140 - which is my maintenance.

Wow you went from 220 to 140 at 5’8”!? Congrats that’s so amazing! Thank you so much for posting how negative 1200 calories could be. I had no idea of these health effects. This is my first time watching what I eat and having some form of plan in my life. I’m going to be extra careful and may visit my doctor to see what plan he reccomends for me to lose the weight safely as well <3

Thank you - and I'm still at 140-145 (maintenance range) 12 years later. You don't have to starve. I'm a retired little old lady (well, still 5'8"), and I still eat 1900-2300 depending on exercise, every day. 1900 NET.

I just want to reiterate and clearly state that I lost most of my weight at 1600-NET. So on exercise days I was actually eating 1900-2100 depending on the exercise. On this site we call that 1600 NET, because it's 1600 calories every day, and add more for exercise. I would add 300-500 more calories on exercise days.

<3
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great plan.