Standing desks

Options
I work from home and sit at a desk, but I've been thinking of getting a standing one. Does anyone have one? Do you like it or do you find yourself sitting anyway? thanks

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital and half the time I find myself working at a computer at bar height, for as much as 8 hrs of my 12.5 hr shift. I don't mind it, but I take a seated workstation if given the choice.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,476 Member
    Options
    Best thing ever invented IMO. After years of issues with back pain I got one at work. Liked it so much got one for home. During a typical 8 hour workday I stand probably 6 hours.

Back pain much improved.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think I would find it helpful to have one where you can adjust it up or down so you have the option. I think I would like having a standing desk because I get really uncomfortable sitting down for long periods of time. I have a coworker in my office with a adjustable one, so she just pushes her chair out of the way when she wants to stand up for a while.
  • melodyvegan
    melodyvegan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I work from home and I have one. I bought a cheaper one - the kind you crank up, though.my partner has an electric one that's nice. I definitely appreciate it, especially for 1 hour+ calls/video meetings where I have to be looking at documents on my computer. I have also noticed that standing makes me more likely to move around throughout the day - going for walking breaks, taking care of small things around the house. I usually use the standing option for the first half of the day and then, when I feel myself getting tired, I sit.

Having a good foot mat really makes a difference too. I had a regular one, but I upgraded to this one, it was well worth the investment: Mr Wilba Standing Desk Mat | Ergonomic Anti Fatigue mat for stand up desk and standing workstation | Massage mound and Ball | Stretch while working | Thicker and Bigger 30 x 27 x 3 Inches | Patent Pen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BTF55GM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FEMcDbTQ3XXJ5

I love it because I can massage my feet and do stretches that help my arches, Achilles, and calves (I have flat feet and plantar fasciitis and my main mode of cardio is walking/jogging). It's super useful for working out tense leg muscles and it beats just standing still which results in being mentally less tired from being engaged in my lower body plus the added bonus of feeling like I'm doing something nice for myself/my feet.

With the desk, I find that if I leave it in the "up" position at the end of the work day I'm more likely to use it first thing in the morning than if I leave it in the down position.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have one but rarely use it. I should probably use it more but then I'm looking down on my coworker and that just gets awkward.
  • emdoll2016
    emdoll2016 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just got my standing desk last week and LOVE it! I do have a little table with a chair so I can sit and sort/highlight/write on reports, however I do spend most of my time up. I also have a balance board and wireless earbuds draped over my neck, so I'm also doing a little bit of lower body workout. It makes they day go faster.

I should add, I also have fibromyalgia, ehlers danlos, raynauds, spinal stenosis, arthritis, and degenerative disc disease and so far, even though my feet are getting used to it, I've noticed an improvement in overall pain in the joints/spine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I work from home and sit at a desk, but I've been thinking of getting a standing one. Does anyone have one? Do you like it or do you find yourself sitting anyway? thanks

You should get one that is adjustable up or down so you can both sit and stand. There are many issues that come from standing all day in one spot as there are issues sitting all day. We are meant to move, not sit or stand in one place.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Not meant to be a rude comment but I worked in an office years ago where all the women dieting wanted standing desks and we spent thousands getting those, and within a few months we spent hundreds more getting them all taller chairs. :D

honestly this just makes me laugh...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Not meant to be a rude comment but I worked in an office years ago where all the women dieting wanted standing desks and we spent thousands getting those, and within a few months we spent hundreds more getting them all taller chairs. :D

honestly this just makes me laugh...

It made me laugh too at the time! Although, to be fair a couple of them had really valid reasons for no longer using the standing desks (like a difficult pregnancy) and then it kind of worked out when another coworker broke her tailbone and needed one of the standing desks for several months.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I am a student so study from home. My husband simply made a stand that I can place my laptop on so it is a comfortable height when standing. I then have a foam block I place my text boos etc on. I actually have not used my chair in a year for anything but dumping work on.
    I am aware that standing for long periods is not good for you but that is fine as I am always sidestepping and hop on the treadmill every hour or so for 5 minutes to stretch my legs. That wouldn't work too well in an office environment!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I am a student so study from home. My husband simply made a stand that I can place my laptop on so it is a comfortable height when standing. I then have a foam block I place my text boos etc on. I actually have not used my chair in a year for anything but dumping work on.
    I am aware that standing for long periods is not good for you but that is fine as I am always sidestepping and hop on the treadmill every hour or so for 5 minutes to stretch my legs. That wouldn't work too well in an office environment!

My husband works from home and he works in several different positions during each day. He'll prop his laptop on the dresser or our pub height table in the kitchen for a "standing desk", seems to work well for him.
  • LisaLethal
    LisaLethal Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a standing desk at work, and I like it. I also have the option to be seated in a normal office chair as well though. I will alternate throughout the day. If I am having a day where I am tied to my desk doing paperwork, I will stand. Otherwise, I will take walking breaks and typically sit at my desk as a break. I think it's great to have the option to stand. :) Definitely helps my back.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    JeBeBu wrote: »
    I am truly spoiled at work...I have an adjustable work station that allows me to sit or stand. I have a recumbent bike in my office (that I happily share) and I float to a different grade (K-6) for a weekly "wiggle it out" session (musical chairs, Simon says, red light/green light, hokey pokey, etc). I am the wellness coordinator (I am the school district's nurse) so all of this allows me to "lead by example"! I really like the dual option desk and would recommend it to all!

I would love to incorporate the hokey-pokey into my work day!
  • JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I would love to incorporate the hokey-pokey into my work day![/quote]

I did say that I am spoiled! LOL!
    Nursing is a stressful, but so rewarding! I want as much of my time devoted to wellness and prevention as possible!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I find myself sitting anyway.