Trip out west and food prep

How do you eat healthy, tracking your calories, etc. if or when you have taken family road trips out west (or east if you’re from the west, lol)? Trying to prepare for this as it’s not easy driving and not eating to stay awake...yet wanting to be healthy and mindful. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    On our cross country move, I took food with me--mostly whatever happened to be left in the kitchen when we finished packing. I ate a lot of protein bars :) We also stopped for fruit along the way and snacked on that for a while. Just make sure you finish all your fresh produce before you get to California if you're heading here. We tried to have just one restaurant meal a day, which was usually small, and tried to avoid buying additional snacks. I also walked a bit whenever we stopped.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Thanks so much!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,550 Member
    Protein bars helped me a lot on a recent trip when meals were being skipped. Of course we stopped at Trader Joe's for wine and I bought and ate a bag of pita chips! Being aware of calories at restaurants for chain ones helps a lot. Fruits and many vegetables can be along for the ride. If you have a cold pack you could make sandwiches. Good luck!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    We do road trips out west for 4-7 days two or three times a year. I kind of do the opposite of others posting. I eat a small hotel breakfast like egg/fruit or oatmeal with coffee. Then eat out for lunch and dinner but zero snacking in the car. We're hiking for hours of most days so we keep a few protein bars on hand just in case. But mostly I just do small restaurant meals. I am not a snacker by nature and find if there are a bunch of tasty snacks in the car I'll eat them out of boredom and then still feel hungry for a "real meal" at lunch and dinnertime. YMMV
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    We usually take trips to the North. Where is your God now?
  • noelr56
    noelr56 Posts: 107 Member
    I always pack crunchy veggie snacks- carrots, celery, pepper strips, sugar snap peas, and some fruit such as apples or clementines. Generally, things that I can't wolf down in one bite and can get banged around in an ice chest and still end up ok!

I also tried to utilize portion control any time we stopped for meals - I would get a side salad and split and entree with a family member, etc. but definitely ate protein bars and jerkey when we would stop for rest stop meals.

Enjoy!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Just made the trip from CA to TX. Went to Trader Joe's and picked up a bunch of healthy road snacks for the drive. We'd have a small breakfast/coffee, then snack through the day with a stop for dinner somewhere.