Is CICO based on calories that are absorbed?

Options
KittenTamer91
KittenTamer91 Posts: 54 Member
edited June 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I know to lose weight you have to be in a deficit and to gain you have to be in a surplus. What I'm asking is if digestive issues have the potential to change either CI and/or CO due to absorption issues. For example: gallbladder problems, IBS, SIBO, Crohn's, Dumping Syndrome, etc. I've been having lots of digestive issues lately and despite being very on track with weighing my foods, logging, and keeping active, my results aren't even close to what they should be. I plan on seeing my doctor next week because my GI symptoms have been getting out of hand. But I would like to know if digestive issues can affect CICO differently than someone with a healthy/normal functioning GI system.

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    How are your results differing from what's expected? Standard calculations for calories adjust for what will be processed and what will just be passed through (insoluable fiber, for instance). GI issues can change the CI portion of CICO if calories are going through faster than they can be processed or absorbed - that would cause you to lose weight faster than expected. It's not possible to extract more calories than the food contains and stall fat loss, though bloating and water retention related to GI issues can certainly play havoc with the scale.

A few examples are 25 pound weight gain in less than a month. Another example is 15 pound weight loss in one week. These are a few out of many. My progress over the past several months looks like an exaggerated yoyo. I can't quite tell where it's going because of the HUGE rapid fluctuations in either direction. My GI symptoms are constipation, diarrhea, bloating, gas, tarry/black stool, pale/white stool, yellow oily stool, reflux, early satiety (sometimes), and frequent urination (sometimes).

It certainly sounds like you're having some really big water swings. You really need to see a doctor for the issues you describe - we can advise you as far as how calories and weight management work, but medical issues need to be discussed with a doctor. Hugs!
  • KittenTamer91
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your answers! Here's a screenshot of my progress from the last 3 months alone! I can't tell where it's going. The REALLY big spike by the way was during a one week vacation where I didn't weigh myself for a week. I usually weigh in every 1-3 days.

242spht.jpg
  • KittenTamer91
    edited June 2019
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    How are your results differing from what's expected? Standard calculations for calories adjust for what will be processed and what will just be passed through (insoluable fiber, for instance). GI issues can change the CI portion of CICO if calories are going through faster than they can be processed or absorbed - that would cause you to lose weight faster than expected. It's not possible to extract more calories than the food contains and stall fat loss, though bloating and water retention related to GI issues can certainly play havoc with the scale.

A few examples are 25 pound weight gain in less than a month. Another example is 15 pound weight loss in one week. These are a few out of many. My progress over the past several months looks like an exaggerated yoyo. I can't quite tell where it's going because of the HUGE rapid fluctuations in either direction. My GI symptoms are constipation, diarrhea, bloating, gas, tarry/black stool, pale/white stool, yellow oily stool, reflux, early satiety (sometimes), and frequent urination (sometimes).

I am not a doctor but my understanding is that both of the bolded are potential indicators of a serious medical issue. If you haven't actually scheduled the appointment with your doctor already, you really should. At this point I think CICO is not what you should be concerned about.

I mentioned in my post that I do have an upcoming appointment next week. In the meantime, I wanted to know if digestive issues affect CICO so I asked on here.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    This won't necessarily answer your questions or help with any health issues, but are you using a weight-trending app like Libra (android) or Happy Scale (apple) or Trendweight (links to FitBit, I think?)

The graph you posted looks like a maintenance trend to me, albeit with bigger swings than I'm accustomed to seeing on my own graphs. A weight trending app might take some of the guesswork out of that, once you get enough history in it.
  • KittenTamer91
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    This won't necessarily answer your questions or help with any health issues, but are you using a weight-trending app like Libra (android) or Happy Scale (apple) or Trendweight (links to FitBit, I think?)

The graph you posted looks like a maintenance trend to me, albeit with bigger swings than I'm accustomed to seeing on my own graphs. A weight trending app might take some of the guesswork out of that, once you get enough history in it.

Thank you for your insight. I couldn't really tell what the trend is. This is the progress graph on MFP app.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    They could affect CICO by making it harder to get the nutrients and calories from your food. That won't result in unexpected fat gain, but would result in unexpected fat loss (and could be dangerous).

They could affect weight in other ways, as others have mentioned, such as huge water weight swings or the weight of food in your body. That's not CICO (which is about fat gain and loss, not water weight).

Anyway, glad you are going to be seeing a doctor, and it sounds unpleasant so hope it's nothing serious and that you get it fixed.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Definitely an issue for your physician, not an Internet forum. Glad you have an appointment, you are right to be very concerned.