What to do whilst on a treadmill

Options
I am hoping to get some tips on what I can do whilst walking on my treadmill. I am not really one for listening to music whilst treadmilling, I find it makes the 'walk' seem long as I'm still staring at the wall and not using my imagination/brain at all. I've thought about watching tv shows although I don't really have the set up to allow for that as my treadmill won't hold my laptop safely. I've also thought about listening to podcasts but is there anything else that'll motivate me to use the treadmill more? I would love to do something practical so I feel like I'm putting my time to good use - any ideas? As I walk and don't run I would like to be able to do around 30minutes or longer at a time. I am grateful for any tips.

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Reading material/books/articles are my go-to items + music. I have a make-shift platform set-up/customized my home treadmill making a fairly stable platform using some simple garage shelving units (adjustable, plastic, stacking) carefully placed around my home treadmill (technically a desk treadmill...but you can craft a standard treadmill into a similar fashion with enough ingenuity; what I did with my previous treadmill...RIP motor finally died). Adjusted & able to accommodate a stand for books as well to avoid neck pain/strain from looking down constantly

Platform is stable enough to hold a laptop (I use for watching lectures/doing work assignments). Really wouldn't plan on trying to do any heavy typing based activity on a treadmill due to precision needed & compromise of speed/pace required. A stationary bike (with ample platform) is more ideal for heavy typing based activities/precision work
  • JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My co-worker is planning her honeymoon and is using her treadmill time to learn another language to enrich their trip!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I prop my iPad up and watch stuff.
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use a tall music stand to hold my laptop or ipad and wear headphones for sound. Costs less than $20 and works a treat.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Watch TV or Netflix on an iPad or smartPhone.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I watch music videos on YouTube usually
  • suzfenau
    suzfenau Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the above ideas. I need to construct something to hold my laptop. Wise words Keto_Vampire I need to be mindful of my neck and make sure it's the correct height then I have many options of things to watch or learn. I know what I'll be doing this weekend :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Audio books
  • ms_maruska
    ms_maruska Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Horror fiction podcast :D
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    The app BitGym is FANTASTIC. You can use it to walk or run (also bike or row). It's a scenic video that keeps pace with you by using your front facing camera. You can cast your phone to your TV if you have one in front of your treadmill.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Audio books and podcasts.
    I have learned a lot of fascinating stuff from TED talks 😀
  • missycalais
    missycalais Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a stool with three boxes on top with a breakfast tray on the top with my laptop and speakers. Where there is a will theres a way! I do 70-80km a week on the treadmill. Lots of Youtube and TV series.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    My treadmill is in the garage, we attached a small tv/dvd player to the hot water system cupboard door. I buy dvd box sets of older tv shows to watch while on the treadmill.