Smoothies?

Options
vkvega
vkvega Posts: 3 Member
I’m hoping any one here may have a simple smoothie recipe involving spinach and kale that isn’t bad tasting. I’ve found many recipes online but they are either very complicated or have ingredients I cannot readily find in stores near me.
Even if it’s not a kale/spinach receipt ANY smoothie recipe would help. I’d appreciate any helpful tips and recipes. Thank you all. 🙏🏼

Replies

• JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I make a kale, broccoli, pineapple, mango smoothie blended with unsweetened almond milk and 1/2 frozen banana
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    A basic one would be something like frozen berries, half a banana (or mango, which I'd use as I hate banana smoothies but they seem to be popular), a bunch of kale or spinach, and then some source of protein -- protein powder or greek yogurt are popular.

A favorite of mine (simplified) is half an avocado, strawberries, spinach/kale, protein powder/yogurt. I'll add water too to make it less thick.

If not having avocado, I will usually add nuts or seeds or homemade nut milk (it has the nuts so more fat and cals) as a fat source.

I normally add cucumber, zucchini, cauliflower, and/or fennel too, and winter squash will work instead of avocado to add smoothness (I tend to use cooked and refrigerated), but you might want to start with simpler options. I use what's in my refrigerator/freezer rather than recipes.

One I love in the summer is watermelon, strawberries, mint, and spinach, ideally with cucumber or fennel too, plus the yogurt or protein powder.

I'm currently experimenting with using tofu or chickpeas or white beans as my protein source, seems to taste fine.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I like to mix kale or spinach (frozen works well) with protein powder and/or Greek yogurt, a bit of banana and either peanut butter or powered peanut butter (depending on how many calories you want to spend) plus liquid of your choice. The banana and PB combo hides any strong vegetable taste, at least for me.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I can't do kale and I won't repeat my favorite quote about it, but it involved kale being a roadside weed and a badger.

My favourite smoothie is spinach with a fruit of some sort (berries, apple, melon), protein powder, and usually either chia or flax seeds. The fruit sweetens it up a bit and the spinach can't even be tasted. Kale on the other hand:

source.gif
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    1 large banana (150g about), frozen
    100g spinach, frozen. I buy fresh so I can use some for wraps, then freeze the rest so it doesn't go bad.
    1tsp cocoa powder
    1tsp cinnamon
    1tsp vanilla extract (I use imitation, I'm cheap)
    1cup unsweetened almond milk

Add ingredient and blend. Important that both banana and spinach are frozen.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I find kale too peppery for sweet things.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have one every single morning -
    1 banana
    1 cup frozen blueberries
    Handful of frozen kale
    scoop of protein powder
    tsp chia seeds
    enough almond/coconut milk to cover it all up.

The texture is a little weird to get used to at first, as I use just a hand blender so it's a bit lumpy, but I absolutely LOVE my morning smoothie now.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,765 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I can't do kale and I won't repeat my favorite quote about it, but it involved kale being a roadside weed and a badger.

My favourite smoothie is spinach with a fruit of some sort (berries, apple, melon), protein powder, and usually either chia or flax seeds. The fruit sweetens it up a bit and the spinach can't even be tasted. Kale on the other hand:

source.gif

My husband came up with the following recipe for one [1]: kale, okra, mayonnaise, hot mustard[2] and grapefruit.
    [1] oops sorry, as an emetic (would that be known as a cleanse in these parts? :/
    [2] to keep the badger away
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I do an easy one.

Kale or spinach
    Banana
    Pineapple
    Blueberry, raspberry or strawberry
    Chickpeas
    Water
    Blend

Awesome.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    This is my go-to Kale and Spinach smoothie recipe.

Ingredients:
    100g Spinach
    100g Kale
    30g scoop of protein powder (choc is my choice)
    300ml Water

Method
    1. Put the scoop of protein powder into the blender
    2. Add 300ml water to blender
    3. Finely chop kale and spinach on chopping board.
    4. Using the blade of the knife carefully scrape the chopped kale and spinach into the garbage bin
    5. Go to the fridge and get 1 medium banana and place in blender
    6. Go to the cupboard and get honey and add 1 Tbs of honey to blender
    7. Go to the freezer and get low cal icecream and add 1 scoop of icecream
    8. Blend and enjoy

Delicious =)