Kettlebell log with hrm polar oh1

Options
zeetje
zeetje Posts: 36 Member
edited June 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I have recently purchased a Polar OH1, but now I wonder under which exercise modus I should log under as kettlebell is not mentioned specificly in the Polar Beat app...

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Log it how? HRM is good for measuring heart rate and training for endurance events. I don't understand what you would want to log while lifting kettlebells.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Log it how? HRM is good for measuring heart rate and training for endurance events. I don't understand what you would want to log while lifting kettlebells.

HRM can be used for more than endurance events. HRM have been quite useful for almost all types of exercise. I haven't seen much literature on the usefulness of them regarding powerlifting or bodybuilding but they are very useful tools regardless of the modality you're training with as long as you're conditioning.

Kettlebell swings for 1 minute intervals will look very different with no HRM and no zone to train in as opposed to having a HRM and maintaining a zone 2 level for the entire minute.

• dewd2
    Options
    MT1134 wrote: »

HRM can be used for more than endurance events. HRM have been quite useful for almost all types of exercise. I haven't seen much literature on the usefulness of them regarding powerlifting or bodybuilding but they are very useful tools regardless of the modality you're training with as long as you're conditioning.

Kettlebell swings for 1 minute intervals will look very different with no HRM and no zone to train in as opposed to having a HRM and maintaining a zone 2 level for the entire minute.

Thank you. I learned something new today. :) I always associated kettlebells with weights.
  • MT1134
    Options

Thank you. I learned something new today. :) I always associated kettlebells with weights.

It's funny you say that because as long as kettlebells have been around, I think they are still pretty foreign when it comes to the use of them for most of us.

I'm not making fun of you or saying I'm an expert. I'm saying it just feels like they are still a cannon ball with a handle attached haha.

When they first introduced to me, I looked at everything as it is instead of what it could be. It never made much sense to me why people kept saying they are working on their conditioning or running a strength cycle using a single kettlebell.

I get it now though.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Using a KB or a pair is my primary training tool and I definitely associate using them as cardiovascular conditioning and strength endurance training. But, all of this training is very specific and there's not 100 percent carryover. You can be good an running and humbled by burpees. I remember when I was a better runner than I am now and going on that escalator-type step master at a gym and dying after about 5 minutes. Yet, I could run like a beast for an hour on a treadmill at a respectable speed.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Why do you want to stay in Z2 for this?
  • MT1134
    Options

Why do you want to stay in Z2 for this?

I wasn't meaning to imply that you should stay in zone 2. I was only using it as an example.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Kettlebell swings are the perfect example of why HRM have limited usefulness outside of steady state endurance training.

Heart rate only works as a proxy for VO2 when there is a consistent relationship between the two. During steady state cardio, this consistency exists (for the 66.7% of the population that has an “average” HR max).

During KB swings the HR/VO2 relationship is skewed—HR increases to a much greater extent than VO2. HR can reach 85+% of HR max but VO2 is less than 65% of VO2 max. Using HR as a guide it is a strenuous exercise, but the real measure of intensity (VO2) suggests it is a moderate one.

This is for sustained KB swings. For shorter intervals, the discrepancy is likely more pronounced.

In that case, the effort is mostly glycolytic and HR won’t give much useful information at all.
  • MT1134
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Kettlebell swings are the perfect example of why HRM have limited usefulness outside of steady state endurance training.

Heart rate only works as a proxy for VO2 when there is a consistent relationship between the two. During steady state cardio, this consistency exists (for the 66.7% of the population that has an “average” HR max).

This is for sustained KB swings. For shorter intervals, the discrepancy is likely more pronounced.

In that case, the effort is mostly glycolytic and HR won’t give much useful information at all.
    *I see what you're saying but I don't agree in total. You do make useful points in showing the relationship between an exercise, the perceived difficulty of it from measuring heart rate versus VO2.

*The argument wasn't for kettlebell swings but for HRM being effective even away from steady state. I was simply trying to illustrate the point that telling someone to swing for one minute with no guidance is really no different than telling someone to run for a certain time with no guidance. They are likely to be all over the place and miss the mark of the desired training effect.

*I am interested in knowing what other uses you would use the HRM for besides steady state? I ask because you said they had limited use outside of steady state, so I imagine there's got to be something you like them for outside of steady state?

*Even if we were looking to train the glycolytic system, you don't feel that HRM would give you a more accurate way of doing that even if using kettlebell swings rather than no monitor?

• ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Trying to put a device on your wrist while doing kettlebell workouts seems inherently problematic. One-handed swings are going to be inaccurate and nobody wants to have a kettlebell bang into their fancy sports watch.

In addition, heart rate monitoring of strength or strength-endurance activities isn't telling you everything you need to know. Heart rate is slow to respond to changes in exertion, especially ones of short interval duration. Why not adapt a power meter for use on a kettlebell? You can still pull heart rate data from another sensor, but power would give strength athletes metrics and analytics that the endurance people have long been using.
    The standards ANT+ and BLE are there to do it. You would need is a minor UI change to your watch interface to adjust the weight of the kettlebell.

The problem that would remain is how to measure power on a kettlebell. Would you use a stress guage like in bikes, or an inertial guage like for runners.
  • MT1134
    Options
    Trying to put a device on your wrist while doing kettlebell workouts seems inherently problematic. One-handed swings are going to be inaccurate and nobody wants to have a kettlebell bang into their fancy sports watch.

In addition, heart rate monitoring of strength or strength-endurance activities isn't telling you everything you need to know. Heart rate is slow to respond to changes in exertion, especially ones of short interval duration. Why not adapt a power meter for use on a kettlebell? You can still pull heart rate data from another sensor, but power would give strength athletes metrics and analytics that the endurance people have long been using.
    The standards ANT+ and BLE are there to do it. You would need is a minor UI change to your watch interface to adjust the weight of the kettlebell.

The problem that would remain is how to measure power on a kettlebell. Would you use a stress guage like in bikes, or an inertial guage like for runners.

More good points but why does it have to be a wrist based monitor? I was thinking a chest strap.

Also, I think there's obviously more to consider here with so many variables. Athlete goals, skillset. Also you mentioned measuring power but I think that would be largely dependant upon what we're doing and why we're doing it, no?

However, once again, this was not about kettlebells itself and more about being able to use HRM for more than just running or "cardio"
  • pierinifitness
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I ise my Garmin when training with kettlebells fully aware of the imperfections of the info it provides. I’m OK with these imperfections.
  • zeetje
    Options
    Thanks every one for your input, I am using a polar OH1 which is an arm strap so not effected with unwanted hits on the wrist. I learned that my HR was way too high when started using the HRM, first pic. This was also the case while running, now I am focussing more on recovery between each exercise. Looks much better I think, still dont know how I should log in polar beat though? Circuit training? Indoor exercise? Does it even matter?g7hsj4frrjhe.jpg
  • dewd2
    Options
    How do you know it was too high? Did you first measure your actual max HR (and min HR)?

Also, arm measurements are still not as accurate as a strap. It is not the 'hits on the wrist' that cause the problems. It is the movement (bending, twisting, etc).
  • zeetje
    Options
    No I did not... would not how to either. I only just started to measure to get more insights...I die some searching on the internet but find it quite complicated. Kettlebell and HR... when doing workouts I do push my self to the limit, and it never gets easy..but when I saw I was more in the red zone I started wondering of I was logging it correctly in the Polar Beat App
  • dewd2
    Options
    Then Polar probably thinks your max HR is 220 minus your age. This number can be way off making your zones way off. For example, I'm 50 so 220 minus my age puts my max HR at 170. I know for certain is is closer to 181.

I doubt you can test it with kettlebells. You'd have to run or bike (or better yet, get tested in a lab).
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    I'm a kettlebell and heart rate monitor junkie and always use a chest strap when doing most of my workouts. I find it more believable and closer to my truth. Given, the calories burned for a kettlebell workout are likely overstated by 1/3 but the workout history over time is where all the value is. You can measure a particular workout, the time it took you to complete it and what were your heart rate stats compared to past times doing the same workout. What you'll get is some quantifiable stats to supplement your perception of the progress you're making. My two cents.