Calorie reset

dw3webster443
dw3webster443 Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2019 in Getting Started
Do the goal calories adjust down automatically as you lose weight?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    if you update your weight as it drops and haven`t automatically set your calorie goal yes.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    That hasn't been my experience.

I'll weigh in each week so my recorded weight will drop however this hasn't ever resulted in a change in my calorie target.

It's not until I go into "Settings" then "Edit Goals" and tap on my current weight in there that the calorie target recalculates. The weight in the Edit Goals section shows my current weight but it's not until I tap on it that I get the message that says "This will recalculate your calorie and nutrition goals" and only then will the changes take place.
  • attycda
    attycda Posts: 5 Member
    I log my weight and after 23 lbs. the calories hadn't changed. About halfway to my goal at the -23 lbs point, I decide that I need to drop another 10 lbs., so I adjusted my goal. The daily calorie allowance dropped by 130 calories per day, roughly a 7% decrease of what was allowed before.

Something isn't right. I expect the BMR to go down, but MyFitnessPal is on the really conservative side of those calculations already. I made a spreadsheet which averages the MyFitnessPal and a Eufy scale BMR and calculates everything in calories ( an energy system.) The spreadsheet has been off by only 1/2 lbs on 80%+ of my weigh ins as it predicts what my weight should be based on my efforts. When it has been incorrect by a 1-2 lbs either way, it was not long (only days) before my measured weight went back in line with predicted. When I weighed too little, it told me. When it seems like I was not losing any weight if I only paid attention to the scale, I know my efforts were enough to be lighter. What seemed like a plateau was not.

In my view, the conservative numbers they use are only helpful in claiming that the app works. If you feel hungry when you wake up and hungry for most of the day, it will wear on you, and that's what I'm starting to experience now. At least I have a backup for measuring all this.