Half Marathon training question

Options
slbbw
slbbw Posts: 329 Member
I have been running distance races for years, so I probably should be able to answer my own question, but looking for advice. I had been running indoor over winter. Started getting back inot outdoor running two months ago. I found the HITT tread work I had been doing lead seamlessly into me being able to run at distance again. When training I generally follow a Jeff Galloway approach with my long runs alternating increased distance one week followed by a base run the next as I find that works well for me. So far my running has roughly been the following:

mon,tue, thur, fri - 2.4 mile run split in 2 sections two and from circuit class, some hill work
Wed 6 miles
Sat - long run; 6, 8, 9, 6, 11, 6...
Sun - rest

So last week was the 11, this week is the 6. Felt good on the 11.
The problem I have is I just started running because I wanted to, not with a particular schedule in mind. I have decided the race I will be running is Sep 8th. In theory I could run a half marathon race in two weeks if I felt like it. so I have 12 weeks until my race. My question is how do I tailor my training plan given my current mileage that I am enjoying running.

The Galloway intermediate plan for long runs looks roughly like 11,6 ,13 ,6 ,15 ,6 ,17, 6 race. Which would only be 8 weeks. I also have a 2 week cruise vacation a couple weeks before the race. So how do I adjust the plan?

Current thought is 11, 6, 13, 6, 15, 6, 17, 6, 15, 6 (leave for cruise so maybe before or maybe on ship), 12 (day after cruise which might need to down grade this), 6, RACE.

There is some question as to whether I really need to go to 17. I am considering a 5K+half in mid October so there may be some reason to do this, but still unsure.

Instead of the pyramid approach I could also just hang out and alternate between 13 and 15s, or just stick to 13 and keep it there .

If you read this all thanks!. Any thoughts?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    TBH, any of the above should work for you. I think alternating would be more interesting than sticking to just 13, but that's me. If you decide to do the 5k plus HM, you should probably train that way as well, assuming you decide to race both and not just take them easy. Maybe do a tempo/interval run Saturday and long run Sunday, or a MLR Saturday and long on Sunday.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Seriously there is absolutely no need to go to 17miles for a half, that's further than some full marathon plans go (my first only went up to 16miles). Are you sure it's not asking for km? 17km I could understand, I normally train up to 10.5miles for a half, and that's further than my PT does (she gets me to do that for my confidence more than anything)
  • benelliott74
    benelliott74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you keep your long run distance stable for a few weeks (8-10), and then a little block (4 weeks at 10-12, on the alternating weeks) you may have more ability to increase gently the intensity of your midweek runs, or even add in a little half M pace section within your long run. Two to three weeks out is last long run ... and do a run or two on some fun trail. :)