Alternative to Soy Sauce or Liquid Aminos

sarahertzberger
sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
Pretty much every day for lunch I have the same thing, I do a basic stir-fry, chicken, rice, lots of veggies, and seasoned with 2 Tbsp. of soy sauce or what I've been using liquid aminos... My question is, what's a really good alternative to those two? They are both extremely high in sodium (even the low-sodium soy sauce) so I'm going over in sodium pretty much every day. What do you use to flavor your stir-fry or meals similar? I love the flavor but really want to cut the sodium down, any ideas?

Replies

• wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    Well, besides low sodium soy sauce, I like my veggies with a bit of franks original red hot sauce. Totally different flavor profile, but so good! You could also try rice vinegar.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Tamari has a similar taste and is a little lower in sodium, I believe.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Okay...to be honest this won't taste exactly like soy sauce but it isn't bad...

FAUX SOY SAUCE (adapted from Dick Logue’s Soy Sauce Substitute)
    1/4 c. molasses
    3 T. rice wine vinegar
    1 T. water
    1 t. low-sodium or sodium-free beef bouillon granules
    1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper

To make the faux soy sauce, measure ingredients into a small saucepan or microwave safe bowl and heat on low to combine. Store unused portion in an airtight container in the refrigerator for later use.

http://thedailydish.us/marinades/asian-inspired-low-sodium-marinade/

There is another recipe here...

https://www.hackingsalt.com/low-sodium-soy-sauce/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    You won't get that salty hit without sodium I'm afraid. You might use less sauce if you replace soy with a SE Asian fish sauce. Also very salty but you might need less of it due to anchovy funkiness. Of the cheap widely available brands I like Tiparos from Thailand. The top end brand is Red Boat from Vietnam which is expensive and more mellow than other fish sauces.

Otherwise try replacing half of the soy with other less salty asian sauces such as oyster sauce (contains sugar) or sriracha (contains chilli). I personally like the acidity of green sriracha.

Another prepared asian sauce I like is Maesri Seafood sauce from Thailand. It's a combination of fish sauce, lime, chilli, sugar, garlic.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    If you are worried about too much sodium, a little lemon juice is a nice substitute. Lemon tends to cook out of things so added at the last minute or after off the heat works best and it doesn't take much at all. I know it alters the flavor profile a bit since soy is more than just salt but it can be nice.
  • Jelliqal
    Jelliqal Posts: 17 Member
    Question is - where else are you getting sodium. You need some in your diet. What is your sodium target? I aim for under 2000 and have no issue with low sodium or coconut aminos as an addition to my diet.

There is Low sodium Soy sauce ( 40% less - 575 mg).

I like coconut aminos( 270 mg / TB). Ocean Halo's No Soy less sodium ( 310mg per Tb)

Also vinegar a good alternative. (flavor of your choice)

or a different sauce - Thai Peanut sauce ( 2mg / TB)

Good luck
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Many sauces are high in sodium and sugar. To cut the sodium, I use low sodium soy sauce. It still has a lot of sodium, but not quite as bad as regular. Maybe if you are concerned about soy sauce, try leaving it out or sprinkling on before you eat your stir fry.
    Try experimenting with sodium free spices, and herbs you enjoy.
  • placeboBL
    placeboBL Posts: 62 Member
    3llb5x5x418o.jpeg

Much less sodium than traditional soy sauce. Not nearly as good though.