Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    no dessert until you finish your plate
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I read that your title in my mother's voice .. though there was usually a reward at the end .. "to get dessert!"

Lol. I heard my dad saying "Eat the dang peas girl!"

LOL Biggest fight my father-in-law had was when he told my kids to clean their plates! Oh No!! That's why I look like this. YOU made their plate, not them so it isn't a case eyes bigger than their stomache. You want the plate clean, YOU clean it! Hubby just looked at me and shrugged. He knew I was right.

At my house, any kiddo leftovers go to dad's plate if he wants it. If dad doesn't want it, it goes to our dog.
  • anonniemouse
    anonniemouse Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. I cover my plate, put it in the refrigerator, and call it "free food." Then I can eat it anytime I want and not have to count the calories for it because they have already been added in. I usually end up eating it as a snack the same day, or maybe as lunch the next day, or I might save it for a "free" meal-between-meals on a really high calorie burning day that week. It rarely goes to waste though.

This is such a good idea! I don't know why I haven't thought of it before. :blushing:
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    All I can say from this thread;

Stop measuring foods with "1/2 a cup" "1/4 cup"

use grams, and grams only.
  • Beckaroo94
    Options
    If you're worried, weigh all the food before on the plate, then when you're finished, minus the weight of the plate of it's own. Original (food mass/final foodmass)*the calories in the original plate of food

Note:I don't do this. I make myself eat it all, so I won't snack later
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I never take more than I'll eat. And I'm good a estimating how much it will take me to feel full. Otherwise, if you only eat about half, log it around half...
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I typically plan my foods, so if I don't eat it all, I adjust for what I didn't eat.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    weigh the remainder and subtract...
  • VasylP
    VasylP Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I read that your title in my mother's voice .. though there was usually a reward at the end .. "to get dessert!"

Or there is always the Pink Floyd version of that - "If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?" :noway:

I personally don't weigh everything to the gram and make pretty good estimates. I try to be as honest as possible with everything thing I cook and consume. I know one thing for fact, I am much more aware of the difference between "clean" food and the other stuff. In fact I would say that eating clean is even more important than counting the calories and weighing/measuring the hell out of everything.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I usually pre-log my dinners with suggested serving sizes, get to actually serving myself and seeing those portions are too big for me, eat what I want and let my dad and brother have the rest, adjust my logging, then eat chocolate until I hit my goal.
  • JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I do agree, I'm not sure if that was a general post or a response geared towards me, but I definitely weigh my food in grams.

:smile:
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

I do agree, I'm not sure if that was a general post or a response geared towards me, but I definitely weigh my food in grams.

You wrote this.

"For example I just measured out 3/4 cup of spaghetti squash and a 1/4 cup of sauce and did not eat all of it, but I logged all of it. "
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

this too
    a tblspn is 28 grams
    for ****s and giggles scoop out a tblspn of peanut butter and weight it in grams
    you will be surprised at how much an eyeballed tblspn is! It is closer to 2 servings if you are heavyhanded.

Throw away the measuring cups and stick to grams to get proper servings....

:flowerforyou:
    Unless of course you know what you are doing when it comes to measuring. I finally got a food scale about a month ago and found that I was already doing it right. Some people actually have taken classes in cooking and know how to properly measure different foods. :wink:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Unless of course you know what you are doing when it comes to measuring. I finally got a food scale about a month ago and found that I was already doing it right. Some people actually have taken classes in cooking and know how to properly measure different foods. :wink:
    I think it's going to be very difficult to account for things like non-uniform size of flakes in corn flakes, for instance, or measuring a cup of radishes... are they little tiny radishes that pack in there nice and tight, or are they big ones that you can only fit 3-4 in a cup? Weigh them in grams, and your problems, they are a-solved... I just wish it was easier to log more foods that way. I hate having to look up the densities of foods that may not be easily found. :grumble:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I think it's going to be very difficult to account for things like non-uniform size of flakes in corn flakes, for instance, or measuring a cup of radishes... are they little tiny radishes that pack in there nice and tight, or are they big ones that you can only fit 3-4 in a cup? Weigh them in grams, and your problems, they are a-solved... I just wish it was easier to log more foods that way. I hate having to look up the densities of foods that may not be easily found. :grumble:

Actually, I have used my scale to check, and it's within less than 10 grams difference trying it three different times. (For cereal) For something like radishes, or virtually any vegetable, the actual difference is so tiny, calorie-wise, that I don't even bothering measuring at all, just eyeballing, and maybe doubling it even. I marked myself as two cups of green beans just because I didn't want to measure them out. It was probably just one cup, but when the calories are so tiny, why bother?
  • JskC1893
    Options

You wrote this.

"For example I just measured out 3/4 cup of spaghetti squash and a 1/4 cup of sauce and did not eat all of it, but I logged all of it. "

wompwomp, your right. I did measure that, good catch :D
  • JskC1893
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!! I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their input :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Confused...what are these leftovers you speak of?