Preventing/Easing DOMS

Options
Deviette
Deviette Posts: 979 Member
edited June 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
So I was massively suffering from DOMS yesterday in my quads and then did a class on top of it which completely killed them even more. And then this morning I woke up and they feel suspiciously good. Which worries me. I'm expecting tomorrow to be hell.

So does anyone have any advise to relieve/reduce DOMS after a tough workout? I've upped my exercise regime so I'm not having a much recovery time between sessions anymore so as much as I can do to reduce it would be great

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Self-Massage, Epsom Salt Bath and plenty of protein/electrolytes.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Arnica from the health store
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Adequate hydration will help. Some people swear by rollers (never tried it personally).

FWIW, studies have shown anti-inflammatory may inhibit muscle growth, so you can pop NSAIDs (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc) for pain, but it may be detrimental. Acetaminophen (non-NSAID) may help, but can be damaging to your liver and/or stomach (especially if you drink alcohol).

I try to take the DOMS in stride, knowing its a sign of a good workout.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I’ve found that another workout actually eases DOMS. I get DOMS the day after some workouts. I will sometimes take a rest day, but sometimes do a moderate (not strenuous) workout and that often makes my muscles feel better.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    If it feels better, be happy, it means it's getting better. I've zeroed in on doing both running and spinning. Often, I'm sore from running and I find that the spinning makes it feel better. All good!

In general, being consistent in your workouts is the best way to limit DOMS.