Refeeding after VLCD to gain muscle/lose fat

Hi guys, due to an illness I have been on a prolonged vlcd for the past four months. It has seen me lose approx 33kg to date. A few weeks ago I slowly started refeeding as I am now well and need to get fit. I am still 10kg overweight so would like to still lose that but properly while building muscle. My job starts in approximately three weeks and I will be working 12 hour very physical days burning around 5000kcal per day. I have a personal trainer and work out daily, resistance, weights, cardio and farm work and regular horse riding. I have managed to not gain any weight at all but the scales so far show no weight loss either. My measurements are about the same. I feel more vibrant and energetic. I am now on 800kcal a day and working up slowly. I eat a healthy, varied whole food diet only. Obviously I’m introducing stuff slowly. Should I be seeing a change in the scales or measurements by now? Any pointers for refeeding and not gaining fat back but getting as fit as possible before my job starts back up? I know it’s a short time but life happens while you make plans. Any pointers would be great. Thanks

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    My doctor just told me to build up slowly. Which I am. I am unable get in to see him again before I go so am getting info from other sources. I feel absolutely fine and have had zero negative affects from the vlcd at all which is apparently rare. I just feel higher energy is about all. I’m ready to get back at it and need to get as fit as I can before I go. If there’s any advice from someone in a similar boat I’d love to hear it. I’m fine with just building muscle as fat will come off naturally with that.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    I have had no ill effects at all and am eating oats, brown rice, lean meats, eggs, avocado, cabbage, onion, nuts, asparagus, legumes and yoghurt thus far. My doctor said generally you feel horrible for the first few days but I’ve been fine. Apparently this is also very weird lol.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    This is true. Will just have to do my best and see how I go. Thanks
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    Are you at risk for refeeding syndrome? It doesn't sound as if you are now; but, I would assume your doctor would have monitored you.

Respectfully we don't have the full picture.

I would not worry too much about the scale. Vlcd and refeed and illness can play havock with your water weight.

Your job sounds incredibly active. You won't grow actual muscle on a vlcd even of you prioritize protein. However losing weight makes you lighter! and you get a "strength feeling" boost from that when losing fast.

You're at 800. In 3 weeks you have to be at 5000.

Even assuming the move from an arbitrary 2500 before the new job to the 5000 with the new job doesn't need to happen till the new job starts... You still need to be at that 2500+ before then.

Plot a course. I don't see how you do this without increasing by 1-200Cal each and every day on average

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    And once your ramp out of vlcd territory, for weight management, it really doesn't matter if your food is whole or partial, pristinely washed or quick and dirty, fast or slow-cooked by elves using prime unicorn ingredients!

For health purposes a varied diet of whole foods with the occasional treat probably wins the prize; BUT, this only applies once you have the calories thing under control!!!