How much importance do you give to body fat%?

18 days ago I started using a smart scale that measures body fat % and other stuff. In those days I have lost 1.8 kg (4 lbs) and my body fat % has gone from 31.5% to 30.4%. However, while my weight has been going down in an almost straight line (I have been exercising and dieting during those 18 days, and I weigh myself like every 3 or 4 days), the body fat% seems to go up and down (with a general downward trend). I don't know if this is a problem with my scale's accuracy regarding body fat, or if it really has been going up and down. It's somewhat confusing to me. Do you think it is important to track body fat? Or as long as I'm losing weight it's OK?

Replies

• thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    my scale gave me a body fat % of 13. no freaking way am i 13% with this belly fat. i'm unsure of any way to accurately even measure it, so i don't put too much stock in it.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I have two knee and one hip replacement so the scale can't read my BF. Can't get through the titanium. As a result, I don't worry about it. 😊
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    My scale bodyfat% is zero importance to me since it is very inaccurate. However I do track my bodyfat in other ways, I don't have a number but using a combination of the mirror, photos and measurements I can track my progress in a certain direction.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Consider your home scale readings entertainment value much like what Zillow reports your home value. For a closer to the truth measure, get a DXA-Scan.

If you need absolute truth, you’ll need a cadaver dissected measurement but you might not be around to get the results.

Life isn’t as precise as we’d sometimes like it.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    My scale bodyfat% is zero importance to me since it is very inaccurate. However I do track my bodyfat in other ways, I don't have a number but using a combination of the mirror, photos and measurements I can track my progress in a certain direction.

Pretty much this. The BIAs? Zero importance.

Measurements + online calculators based on those measurements? That's what I track and trend.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    One of the main drawbacks to using BIA in home scales is that the methodology is greatly affected by fluid shifts and hydration status. If people are taking random scale readings they will get random results. The accuracy can be improved somewhat by weighing under similar conditions as much as possible—time of day, no food, alcohol, caffiene, or larger volumes of water within 2 hr of the test. No strenuous workouts the day before, to name some.

The other important issue is the quality of the technology itself. At our center we have a machine that uses BIA technology but cost $12,000. A $50 home scale will not be comparable.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Many scales have trouble differentiating between fat and water. Unless you get really expensive ones that can do this, it can only really be taken as a rough guide. To me, it’s not important. How my clothes fit is more so.