Anyone on here preparing for gastric bypass surgery?

fannydavis44
fannydavis44 Posts: 7 Member
I am getting ready to have gastric bypass surgery myself. 3 month prep and I also have a big stomach hernia that has to be repaired. Some people think that I am taking the easy way out but it is not! It is a complete life change and I am excited to start this new chapter in my life. Just wondering if I am the only one.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I can't relate to the surgery but wanted to wish you well on your journey. <3
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    Prep NEEDS to be more on the MENTAL end than the physical. I've dealt with many people who have had it and the the obsession they had with over eating, transfers to something else because they can no longer use food for comfort. With some it was alcohol. Some it was gambling. Some it was shopping. Hopefully you're spending plenty of time with a therapist to identify what may be the reason the behavior originated from.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ItsOnlyChocolate
    ItsOnlyChocolate Posts: 16 Member
    I began the process in June 2019, with anticipated surgery date of October 2019. This has been a long time coming. I was scheduled to have this surgery in September 2008, when my husband lost his job and our health insurance. It has taken me this long to get the funding; and in-between I have been trying to have the pretesting done and by the time it was completed it was too old and I had to start over. Now I truly am at a crossroads, with severe sleep apnea, one knee replacement done which has to be redone because it wore out while waiting to have the right knee done (not yet) back pain, bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome, moderate high blood pressure, et al. I certainly understand that this will not be the "easy way" - but a tool to use to help me be restored to good health. I have been selective with whom I share my decision. There are plenty of calamity howlers around to discourage me and make me feel like I am a moral coward.
  • CathyFullan150
    CathyFullan150 Posts: 65 Member
    I had a duodenal switch on April 22nd. It was the best decision of my life. Ignore those who tell you it’s the easy way out; this is by far the hardest thing I have ever done. The first few weeks after surgery, when I was on a liquid diet, was very easy for me. Moving to puréed food was a challenge. Be very, very careful with your portions. I would even suggest you stop eating before you are full. The biggest challenge was moving back to whole foods. It really was trial and error. Acid reflux was a HUGE problem for me, and the pain was excruciating. I was prescribed Omeprozol which worked very well. I made the decision to eliminate simple carbs and alcohol from my diet. So far it has been a bumpy road, but I wouldn’t change a thing. Yes, vitamins and supplements will be part of your life forever. Don’t slack on them, because you will definitely feel the ill-effects. And the mental prep is essential. Work hard to figure out why you are/have been overeating. Then establish coping skills to use after your surgery. That is so, so important. Best of luck, and let me know if you have any questions!!