Weight and depression cycle

Hi guys, I am newish on here...I have made a profile on here many times throughout the years but never made it past about a week tops and never have posted before. I am an old pro at losing and gaining weight. I have lost over a hundred pounds a couple times on weight watchers in the past. And of course gained it all back plus some... I am hoping to lose a bunch by counting calories on here. I struggle with anxiety and depression which make it harder sometimes(as far as motivation and giving a cr@p). I could really use some support and I will do my best to be supportive as well. ☺

Replies

• I can understand some of these feelings and I'm down to be friends!
  • Jenanne31
    Jenanne31 Posts: 23 Member
    Hi Leelee, hugs to you. I think most of us can relate to how depression affects our motivation and weight loss goals. Hang in there! :)
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    I strongly recommend counseling to get your head in the right place for long term success. I finally went to therapy in 2012 (at age 35) after battling generalized anxiety disorder my entire life and depression on and off since my twenties. While I'll never consider myself "cured", I believe 100% that working on psychological issues has helped me to lose over 100 since then and keep it off for 6 years and counting. I never lost quite as much in the past but I did have a few times where I would gain 50, lose 70, repeat. So I kind of understand. I think sometimes we have emotional or psychological issues that are impossible to get past without a little help and can be more tied into our eating habits than we think.

THIS💜
  • chunk4436
    chunk4436 Posts: 2 Member
    I dont really have depression issues, but sometime I do cry when I think about all I'm missing because I'm so fat.
    I'm here for the same reason, too...weight off and on and off and on.
    I'll do my best to support you on here.
    I really need it as well.
    Let's see if we can break some molds.
  • 81leelee
    81leelee Posts: 2 Member
    Wow! What a great bunch of supportive people! Thanks to all of you for your warm and encouraging responses! I think it's so important to be open and honest when we are struggling mentally because weight loss is really a mental thing just as much as physical and anything thats making that harder has to be addressed and not hidden and shoved down because of fear of the stigma of mental health. So thanks guys and I will be here for you as well ☺ And @ seltermint555 I am definitely no stranger to counseling lol, it is a great help for many people and its also a struggle sometimes just to get over to a counselor(so big kudos to you for taking care of yourself!)...I could prob benefit from getting back into that for sure.