Rest day nutrition

Options
What would be recommended to eat during a rest day with no exercise? Besides snacking on veggies! I hear protein shakes are a “no no” on a rest day, But Is this true or not? Need suggestions please :) I’m on a 1,000 calorie diet, btw

Replies

• MicahClimbs
    MicahClimbs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure protein shakes are fine, assuming all the ingredients are okay.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Almonds are always a solid choice. Honey-roasted, wasabi, chocolate-dusted . . .
  • snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm with MikePTY on this. Who recommended you go on a 1000 calorie diet? Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? As a general rule, people need a minimum of 1,200 calories daily to stay healthy. If you have a strenuous fitness routine or perform many daily activities you need more calories. If you have reduced your calorie intake below 1,200 calories a day, you could be hurting your body in addition to your weight-loss plans. Plenty of articles on the web; here are a few: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/15-common-mistakes-people-make-when-trying-to-lose-weight-a7204076.html. https://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/can-more-calories-equal-more-weight-loss.aspx. To answer your question, you can eat whatever you want on a rest day. For example my training days I consume 2800 calories. Macro breakdown is 180g protein, 93g fat, and 311g CHO. On my rest days I reduce it to 2500 calories. Macro breakdown is 180g protein, 93g fat, and 236g CHO. I eat what I want on my rest day (no junk food) as long as it's within my calorie and macro goal.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Well-rounded nutrition is always a good bet. Also minimally adequate calories. Unless you're very small, inactive, and/or old, 1000 calories isn't minimally adequate.

(I'm 5'5", weight around 135 pounds, age 63, and 1000 would put me in the hospital in a fairly short time period, if I could stick with that low a number, and if I were inappropriate enough to do it.)
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    sorry, you lost me at 1000 calories. alas, it was a legit question until that detail.
  • AquaMeow
    AquaMeow Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    courtsh93 wrote: »
    What would be recommended to eat during a rest day with no exercise? Besides snacking on veggies! I hear protein shakes are a “no no” on a rest day, But Is this true or not? Need suggestions please :) I’m on a 1,000 calorie diet, btw

Eat in your calorie range during rest days. Dont overeat or you will erase your progress.