Are you waiting to buy new clothes?

Options
I have been losing weight slowly, and of course have a goal weight that may take me a year or more to reach. I've been putting off buying new clothes until then, but I decided today to go ahead and buy some and I'm so glad I did. My clothes were getting a little baggy and it was not flattering. The new clothes I bought are a size down and look so much better on me. If I keep losing as I plan to, they will become too loose, and I'll have to buy the next size down. I feel better in clothes that fit me, and I found a few online consignment shops so that I won't go broke along the way.

Wondering what others are doing?

Replies

• Neightyre29
    Neightyre29 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes 100%. I personally can't stand loose clothing so feel I have no choice hah but I will only buy cheapies until I lose more. Glad you had a good time xD
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    A very cool website is Thredup. It's a consignment store on line, and they also have new items with tags. Lots of designer clothes at really low prices.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I absolutely bought new clothes along the way. It always felt so amazing to buy the next size down, and I always feel so much better in clothes that are flattering and fit correctly. It kept me motivated to keep going. I was not replacing my whole closet or anything, but a few new versitile pieces I could mix and match was just enough to keep my wardrobe fresh and fitting me nicely. I also always made sure to get rid of everything in my old larger sizes. That way i would not let myself move backwards.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I have a fantastic consignment shop near me. I always shop consignment anyway but especially cost effective during this journey.
  • bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I wear only dresses save for when I am wearing leggings to work out, and specifically fit and flare dresses, so it's easier for me to get away with still wearing them. I think I've already lost a size, but I'm planning on waiting until I've dropped two sizes and then I'll get some wrap dresses.
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I buy second hand pants. When I get to my goal or even a stopping point and can hold it, then I'll buy new ones. But I'm loving going down in sizes! Makes my day, and when my bras were too loose around the ribcage, I knew I was making progress!
  • QoLmatters
    QoLmatters Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I kept all my old clothes as I gained weight so I'm just putting the baggies aside and using my old clothes as I lose weight. I actually dropped a size this week - felt so good - only thing I had to shop for was a couple of warm track bottoms (winter here now and I only had summer ones in my current size).
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I started at size 16, am currently a size 8, and I still have at least 10 lbs left to lose. I have definitely bought new clothes for work and a couple pairs of new jeans and shorts. I’ve started buying the pants a bit snug and waiting until they are loose to buy more. So I’ve only bought 12s then 8s. I skipped 10s whdn I bought the 8s snug. I buy neutral colored pants so that I can mix and match with different blouses for work. I also found some summer dresses that I can wear to work if I dress them up with a nice shawl or the right jewelry.

I look for sales and coupons. I also find things off season and buy the next size down in anticipation.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I had to buy a couple outfits so I could have something decent for work. I started at a 10, and had to buy a 6 before ending up with a 2. I started the next season size 0.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I had some clothes taken in but in the last six months, I've gone from a size 18, 16, 14, 12, 10 and now a size 8 for tops. I'm still a size 10/12 for trousers. What it's meant is that I've had to buy 'new' clothes but Op Shops, Kmart and Target have been my best friend. The Op Shops in particular have been fantastic and there's a really weird feeling about buying an XS tshirt and being able to wear it when I used to always order XXL tshirts!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I went from size 16/XL to 0/XS. I made clothes last as long as I could—belts, stretchy things, etc.—while I was losing weight. I also bought the cheapest things I could that were still suitable for work, and I lived in a lot of race tshirts.

I will say don’t be too quick to buy new things even when you get to your goal weight. My general size did not change any more in maintenance, but my bra size continued to change.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I buy stuff as I need it. I also only purchase items that I am going to put into production (wear) right away. I never buy clothes for "when I take the weight off".
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I had to buy all new clothes as everything was falling off me. I however bought 90% of my stuff at a thrift store to save money. I'll probably need to do it again so I'm just buying what I need as I go, when my weight loss is done and I've maintained for awhile to where I feel stable I'll go buy some good clothes
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I went from size 26(UK) to size 10(UK). You bet I bought new clothes at the intermediate sizes; what else was I gonna do?

...charity shops were my friend.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    My situation was a little weird because I first went from size 26 to 20-22, then I lost all my clothes in a tornado and with insurance money I went a little nuts buying everything again in sizes 18-22. I thought that was "my new forever wardrobe" LOL. I'd normally been in the size 20 neighborhood since my late teens and the first step for me was getting back to it, so I didn't even plan on losing more weight.

But then within about 1 year, things happened, and I wound up joining MFP and losing weight more rapidly than I expected. So I had this like-new wardrobe of sizes 18-22 and I was wearing 14-16 by then. Friends and even acquaintances had taken me aside to tell me my clothes were way too big on me. I appreciated that because I didn't "see" it yet! I sold ALL of my too-large wardrobe at a huge garage sale. I advertised it online locally and sold out in a few hours, making hundreds of dollars. That was pretty cool!

I bought jeans new, but stuck to secondhand shops for most of my tops, dresses, etc. It worked out great for me. I'd always been a big secondhand shopper even when I wore large plus sizes, so that wasn't really new for me and I still go to thrift stores almost every weekend (it's my hobby). I also found a lot of good new basics at TJ Maxx & the deep discount racks at Macy's.

I tried to be cautious of buying too much in my "new" sizes as I was continuing to lose, but I knew it was important to have a wardrobe that would look and feel good, both for work and just for my own happiness and motivation! It was a little weird for me (a total clothes hound) to have more of a capsule wardrobe for about 2 years, and to constantly be reevaluating and buying new sizes along the way. I never had enough stuff to warrant a second big clothing garage sale...but I sold several "lots" of things in size 16 and 14 online and that was helpful to use the money for smaller pieces. It usually worked out best if I grouped the items such as "4 pair size 16 jeans" or "5 size XL athletic tops in the following brands" and so on.

Now I've been in my maintenance range for over 5 years and wear mostly size 10 with some 12s. Only in the past 2 years have I felt comfortable enough to splurge on some more expensive items, like really nice jackets and designer stuff once in a while. I know that I sometimes gain/lose a few pounds but I am dedicated to staying where I am weight-wise and don't really plan to hit size 8s. I'm tall and still carry a lot of weight in my hip and bust areas, so when I have worn a few items like dresses in size 8 they didn't fit the best and really, I probably needed a 10 with alterations done. So 10 it is, I guess!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much weight a person has to lose getting clothes in the intermediate stages is likely unavoidable. I waited a little too long initially and my pants were falling down. I was walking around with my hand on my pants to keep them up.