BCAA, protein, other supplements?

Options
Any benefit to BCAA for pre workouts?

Any real benefit drinking for marathon training and weight lifting ?

What BCAA drink do you recommend? Protein mix?

Anything else? I take a B complex vitamin and loads of coffee...that's about it.

I have done neither but I am feeling incredibly fatigued as my mileage ramps up, and I just can't eat more, but I feel like something must be lacking.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Why can’t you eat more? Is it because you feel full, or because you are certain that you’ve already eaten all your calories (i.e., using a food scale to weigh all your food)?

Are you eating exercise calories, and if so, how did you calculate them?

If you’re in a deficit, how much weight are you trying to lose, and what pace of loss did you select?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use a protein shake (more of a meal replacement shake that is high in protein) after a long run. I do this mostly for convenience. There is some benefit but not nearly as much as the chocolate milk marketing department wants you to believe. :)

Other than that, I think it is a waste of money.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Why can’t you eat more? Is it because you feel full, or because you are certain that you’ve already eaten all your calories (i.e., using a food scale to weigh all your food)?

If you’re in a deficit, how much weight are you trying to lose, and what pace of loss did you select?

I'm full. I ate my calories but not my exercise cals. Not looking to lose anything. I also don't like to eat after 730 ...messes with my sleep. I'm trying to maintain lean muscle mass, avoid fatigue, stay strong and recover thoroughly.
  • ncgirl8
    ncgirl8 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use Scivation Xtend BCAAs. I know there are a lot of conflicting opinions, but to be honest, I enjoy them (they have some great flavors). My only objection is that they advertise 0 calories, but *apparently* that's due to FDA labeling requirements (so I just count 4 calories per gram, as protein) - and if you're in marathon training, I don't think that would be a concern! They also have a protein powder that has BCAAs added in, but I sort of think that is overkill.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options

I'm full. I ate my calories but not my exercise cals. Not looking to lose anything. I also don't like to eat after 730 ...messes with my sleep. I'm trying to maintain lean muscle mass, avoid fatigue, stay strong and recover thoroughly.

If you are not eating your exerice cals, you are not really eating close to your cals, because your MFP goal doesn't include them. You are likely feeling fatigued because you aren't intaking enough of them. If you can't eat anymore of them, look at drinking some of them through sports drinks or shakes.
  • apullum
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »

If you are not eating your exerice cals, you are not really eating close to your cals, because your MFP goal doesn't include them. You are likely feeling fatigued because you aren't intaking enough of them. If you can't eat anymore of them, look at drinking some of them through sports drinks or shakes.

This. If you aren’t eating all your calories, then you’re not giving your body enough energy. No wonder you’re fatigued. If you feel full, add high calorie/low density foods like peanut butter.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall.

Darn....more peanut butter ;)
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    BCAAs aren't needed, if you eat animal products then you'll be getting them from your food. BCAAs have become the go-to marketing push for Instagram influencers currently.

My other half coaches Olympic athletes and none of them take BCAAS. If they don't need them, then you don't need them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall.

Which you can have with cheese, yum!
  • apullum
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thanks yall.

Which you can have with cheese, yum!

Did someone say peanut butter cheesecake?

Wait, maybe that was just me...
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I like BCAAs. I used to take them when I lifted a lot and lifted heavy 5-6 days a week. I would drink them during my workouts instead of plain water. I have always used Sparta Nutrition gum drops flavor BCAAs. They did not give anywhere near the same effect as a pre-workout would, and I didn't expect them too. They just helped decrease muscle soreness which I appreciated.

I'd say most people don't NEED them, but they were a welcomed addition to my workouts.
  • sammidelvecchio
    Options
    Oh, I also drink a protein shake for breakfast Monday-Friday. Also sparta nutrition. This is because it gives me a lot of protein for not a lot of calories, and I can easily add in a fiber supplement too. It tastes good and keeps me plenty full until lunch time. This is very easy and convenient for me and I enjoy it :)
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    ncgirl8 wrote: »
    I use Scivation Xtend BCAAs. I know there are a lot of conflicting opinions, but to be honest, I enjoy them (they have some great flavors). My only objection is that they advertise 0 calories, but *apparently* that's due to FDA labeling requirements (so I just count 4 calories per gram, as protein) - and if you're in marathon training, I don't think that would be a concern! They also have a protein powder that has BCAAs added in, but I sort of think that is overkill.

Do I need it? Probably not, but for me, a quart of water goes down easier with the Xtend BCAA mix added in. My personal favorites are pineapple and blue raspberry.

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Any benefit to BCAA for pre workouts?

Any real benefit drinking for marathon training and weight lifting ?

What BCAA drink do you recommend? Protein mix?

Anything else? I take a B complex vitamin and loads of coffee...that's about it.

I have done neither but I am feeling incredibly fatigued as my mileage ramps up, and I just can't eat more, but I feel like something must be lacking.

Also, have you had your vitamin D levels checked recently? Many people have a deficiency that can cause a lack of energy. It's a blood test prescribed by a doctor.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I like BCAAs. I used to take them when I lifted a lot and lifted heavy 5-6 days a week. I would drink them during my workouts instead of plain water. I have always used Sparta Nutrition gum drops flavor BCAAs. They did not give anywhere near the same effect as a pre-workout would, and I didn't expect them too. They just helped decrease muscle soreness which I appreciated.

I'd say most people don't NEED them, but they were a welcomed addition to my workouts.

Current research indicates that, as an incomplete protein, BCAAs do nothing for either MPS or recovery other than placebo effect. This has been demonstrated in multiple studies. Whey protein is a complete protein and a better choice.
  • sammidelvecchio
    Options
    @mmapags thanks for the info! I'm sure it will go back and forth more than a few times. Placebo or not, I felt less sore quicker with BCAAs :)

• ncgirl8
    ncgirl8 Posts: 82 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @mmapags thanks for the info! I'm sure it will go back and forth more than a few times. Placebo or not, I felt less sore quicker with BCAAs :)

And I think that is what matters! It seems to be current thought trending towards nutrition being highly individualized. Plus, the older I get, it's more about how I feel than how I'm told to feel :) But that's me....