Anterior Pelvic Tilt

Options
I recently started working out with a personal trainer after about a year, and after noticing that squats and deadlifts were hurting my lower back, she noticed that what I might be having is an anterior tilt, which is putting pressure on my lower back while squatting and not engaging the glute muscles properly. So I've changed course and now focusing on strengthening my core through pilates while learning the pelvic tilt (or keeping it neutral).

My spine curves outward naturally though, and I have always had that exaggerated curve and squats/deadlifts haven't hurt me before this. I kind of like my body shape (not to be a narc), but would focusing on pelvic tilt reduce the curve altogether? Also, is it harmful to do compound weight lifting movements with an anterior tilt?

Replies

• Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I also have anterior pelvic tilt and following this thread...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I would recommend caution before going too far down the anterior pelvic tilt rabbit hole.

APT is actually quite common. So is lower back pain. Because of that, APT is often identified as *causing* back pain when in fact it is more of a coincidence.

There are postural issues that can contribute to lower back pain during squats and deadlifts. APT can be involved, but presence of APT does not actually mean it is the cause.

This is a lot of detail, but it might provide some insight:

https://bretcontreras.com/current-position-statement-on-anterior-pelvic-tilt/

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I don't know if you have APT or not. I will say the few people claiming they had
    APT along with the pain they associated with it no longer experienced discomfort once I corrected their load management, minor adjustments on technique, and assured them they weren't broken in the least.

I wouldn't consider it harmful it perform squats, deads, or bench if you have a experienced coach that understands load management.

I'd also add that your glutes will engage on a squat just fine because if they didnt, you would fall over.

I wish you the best and good training.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Your main concern is the back pain, so i'll address that, not APT, which might not be the cause of your pain.
    During your lifts, focus on bracing your abs tighter, and keeping them braced throughout the entire lift. A good cue is to tighten up as if a kid was going to punch you in the belly. Turn off any headphones and focus inwards. Don't watch yourself in the mirror. Also don't do ab exercises or lots of cardio prior.

Try to upload a video of you squatting & deadlifting, so we can look for any form issues your trainer might be missing.
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Some people misunderstand the 'Woo, thinking it means Whoop! Fantastic! Rather than a 'Wooo, what a crock of excrement'
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    Some people misunderstand the 'Woo, thinking it means Whoop! Fantastic! Rather than a 'Wooo, what a crock of excrement'

This is true! I used to think that Woo was meant as Woo Hoo! So I used it a lot before I realized my mistake. 😳