Sweating.. A LOT!

Options
Hello everyone!

So I've been wondering if I'm the only girl who sweats so much while working out. One year ago I started Insanity and completed it, lost 22lbs. Ever since I sweat so quickly during my workouts. My back is soaking wet, and so is my butt! I thought only men could have sweaty backs haha! I'm still doing workouts like Insanity and Focus T25.

I am overweight, I weigh 184lbs and I'm 5'9". Could this be the reason?

I usually wear those grey shorts (sweatpants fabric) so by the time I finished my workout, it's dark grey lol.
Don't get me wrong, I don't see sweat as some sort of enemy, I'm just wondering if I'm the only female that sweats so much (especially on the back..)

Thanks!

Replies

• Some people sweat a lot. Some people don't. I sweat like CRAZY, sometimes even hours after my workout is over. Doesn't bother me much except when sweat gets past my headband, into my eyes. Sweaty girls unite!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I sweat about 32 seconds into my workouts. When I run or do HIIT of any sort, sweat is literally dripping down my face before I'm done. Not as much with strength training, though.
  • amanda9402
    amanda9402 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Me too! It runs in my family - we all sweat like crazy. I don't do lunchtime workouts because I can't quit sweating in a reasonable enough time to get back to work (even post shower)! I've lost ~20lbs to get to 146, and I've noticed no appreciable difference in sweat levels, FWIW.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    sweating a bunch is totally normal!

If you want it to be less miserable invest in some workout clothes that let you breathe, sweatpants will only hold in the heat :)
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    ugh, I sweat like crazy even if I'm just walking, even in the cold winter (well winter here is usually 50s-60s but still that's cool enough, right?)
  • AshleyFBerry
    AshleyFBerry Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I sweat a ton too! I have friends that don't, so it all depends. I would suggest wearing some type of dri fit clothing though...from head to toe. It helps with not feeling as uncomfortable.

I sweat doing cardio or weight lifting. It runs in my family. I'm very jealous of people that can exercise on lunch breaks because there is no way I could do that.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It's typically a genetic characteristic and really nothing to be concerned about. Just make sure that you are drinking plenty of water to replace what you are sweating out! Good luck!
  • mirandajfoster
    mirandajfoster Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I read one time that the more active and more fit you become the more you will sweat. The more sweat the better its your fat crying lol
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweater too. I sweat when I just take a walk and sweat buckets when I actually workout. I like that saying about sweat being fat crying.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My 16 year old daughter is a competitive soccer player and by the time she's finished a practice or a match she's absolutely soaking wet - something she inherited from me.....an efficient cooling system.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweater too :-) And I've noticed I sweat even MORE if I've had a lot of sodium and I'm retaining water. My family is like that too I wonder if it's genetic.
  • Elisha397
    Options
    Thanks everyone, now I know I'm not alone! :)
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    If you're sweating, it means your workout is working! Worry if you aren't sweating.
  • kasiaj
    kasiaj Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym with a friend who "never" sweats (her words). We both did cardio and when we walked out, she looked like she just came out of the office and I looked like I just came out of the shower.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're sweating, it means your workout is working! Worry if you aren't sweating.

Not really, everyone has a different sweat rate.......
  • lkeverett1
    lkeverett1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweater too. I envy people that get "that glow" when working out. When I work out it is not a pretty site!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Not really, everyone has a different sweat rate.......

yup. If the humidity level is just right, I can sweat from a walk in 50 degree temps. Try being the only guy relaxing at a park in San Francisco during the winter, and covered in sweat.

Odd.
  • YouAreYourChoices
    YouAreYourChoices Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweater too. I sweat when I just take a walk and sweat buckets when I actually workout. I like that saying about sweat being fat crying.

Same here
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Try some workout clothing that wicks away moisture rather than just heavy cotton. If I wore cotton, I think I'd have chafing issues as well as just being plain uncomfortable as that stuff gets heavy when it is weighted down with sweat.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I sweat all the time. Especially times when it's not socially appropriate (at work, a job interview, etc.). It happened even when I was in good shape. It blows.