Water apps I don’t understand

Options
I don’t get how this works. How do you see that your going in the right direction if it fluctuates on a daily basis. I think I would self destruct if my weight was going up rather than down 🥺

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    With patience. Patience is as important a factor as diet in weight loss. Weight loss progress is not measured in days or weeks but rather months and even years. Over a long period of time, you will see your progress, but it is not detectable overnight and you have to stick with it.

Trending apps can help see the bigger picture, but they can't alone give you patience.

For some people, weighing weekly or even monthly is a better option than daily. That carries its own risks as you ate still subject to fluctuations. But it may be better than daily if the scale is going to constantly freak you out.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Your weight WILL go up sometimes. Everyone’s weight goes up sometimes. It will go up because you exercised a little more, ate a little more sodium, are a bit constipated, are at a particular point in your menstrual cycle, ate a bigger meal, or all sorts of other reasons. None of those reasons have anything to do with fat gain or loss. All of those reasons are normal and expected. The focus in any weight management program is on long term trends rather than individual daily weights. If it’s going to cause you distress every time you experience normal daily weight fluctuation, then you’re going to have a very bad time.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but only log each time I reach a new low. Yes, weight fluctuates but when I see how often I register a loss it isn't something I concern myself with.

Today was kind of funny. It was the 3rd day in a row I weighed exactly the same. I started worrying that my scale was broken because I NEVER weigh the same from one day to the next. I stepped on it after having my coffee and it showed a small gain so I knew it wasn't broken.

One thing to keep in mind: the smaller bottles of water are typically 16 oz or 1/2 liter. That is a whole pound. If you gain a few tenths of a pound it could easily be that you are retaining 1/2 to 1 cup of water which is not much at all.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Most water apps help you track how much you drink each day, but it seems to be overthinking to try to correlate that with your daily weight. Sometimes drinking more water helps flush out your system, resulting in weight loss.