It's a mental battle

Options
What strategies do you all use to just keep going, keep counting day after day? I've lost 22kg over about 6 months. I have a lot more to go. I'm just so mentally tired of counting calories all the time, seeing it come off so slowly, seeing how far I've still got to go. I'm wondering if I should eat at maintenance for a few days but I'm terrified of not re-starting at 1407 again. In 6 months I've only gone over my allocated calories twice, by about 100 cals each time. What works for YOU to keep going? I know we're all different, but I'd love some new ideas. I've got a hypnosis app I'm going to use tonight. I've booked a "reward" massage on Saturday for my 20kg gone. I now need help to keep going for the next 20. I fit in "treats " when I need to and exercise for extra calories when I feel I need something extra. But I'm starting to lose my mojo and it's making me panic a little. I. The past, this is when it all goes south. Just wondering what strategies work for others that I can try. Thanks in advance 😄😄

Replies

• maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying. I'm just worried that if I do eat at maintenance for a few days that I'll let it all slip and that will be the end of my hard work. Does that make sense?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    Thank you for replying. I'm just worried that if I do eat at maintenance for a few days that I'll let it all slip and that will be the end of my hard work. Does that make sense?

Could you up your calories in a regimented way so that you feel psychologically like you aren’t “letting it all slip”?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you exercise only when you want to eat more?

Try finding an exercise that you enjoy. Improving at yoga or making new milestones on my bike really help keep me motivated to eat well. There are somethings you just can't do with an enormous butt and so so muscles.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need a diet break. Why are you scared of going off the rails? You’re gonna have to maintain your weight anyway (one day in the future!) so why not learn how to maintain it along the way? That way you will finish your diet break ready for a fresh start and you will find it easier to adhere to. Remember this is a LIFE long journey not a short 1 year journey. The fact that you have only gone over 100 calories twice shows me that you definitely need a controlled diet break. Eat at maintenance for 2 weeks but still track your calories.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I find that as long as I log all my food I can stay on track even if I go over for a day or two. It's when I let myself just start eating off plan and not even logging it that I allow myself to keep making excuses and end up taking weeks or months to get back on track.

I'd agree to try a week or two with a high daily goal, whether that's maintenance or something inbetween, but continuing to count to see if that is a little easier.
  • lexusjade
    lexusjade Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've had to re-orient myself on what is important. And I get it, it's hard when you have a goal and you are working hard but the goal seems so far away, especially when you have a long weight loss journey. Every day is mental for me. Some days are better than others but I am working on my mindset to accept my way of eating as not a punishment but a learning experience. Learning how to eat proper portions, learning how to reward myself without it always being centered around food, and learning how to find and maintain activity I enjoy. I do think when you are eating at a deficit for months, it can literally fatigue you and so I allow myself to eat closer to maintenance once a week. My weight loss is slow and steady but I really don't feel deprived. I'm down 60 lbs.
  • NovemberSkye
    NovemberSkye Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What got you motivated to start in the first place? Besides following all the other wonderful advice on here (diet breaks, lowering your deficit, longer-term thinking), keep in mind what got you going initially.

Also, if you are PLANNING to eat more or give yourself a break, then it's still all part of the diet and weight loss journey. You are not going off the rails at all. If you are being mindful about your decision to eat more.

Personally, I have one day a week where I have a whatever lunch and dinner, including a dessert. It's a great mental break from counting calories. It's also the day I do my intense cardio and lifting session to get in a little extra calorie burn. This one day of eating freely makes feel content the remainder of the week when I am tracking and eating at a slight deficit. And since I do it weekly, I never feel compelled to go crazy for that one day since I know it will come again next week.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    What got you motivated to start in the first place? Besides following all the other wonderful advice on here (diet breaks, lowering your deficit, longer-term thinking), keep in mind what got you going initially.

Was it to wear cute clothes? Go shopping to buy that one new outfit when you lose the next 20. (Mall walking is good exercise)
    Was it to be more active? Do something fun you can do now. Go to the park and play.
    Was it to be healthier? Make a list of future achievements and check them off as you go. (Blood pressure under ??/??)

• NovemberSkye
    NovemberSkye Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    maiomaio71 wrote: »

It doesn't help that the scale almost always goes up after you have had more food which reinforces the idea that any calorie over goal will be met with a swift penalty. I didn't understand that was just (mostly) water weight not weeks of progress undone by one pepperoni pizza. It was a trap that kept catching me.

Yes, keep in mind that on the days you choose to eat a higher calorie level or just enjoy a more indulgent meal without counting, the scale is likely to go up the next day. Mine always does, sometimes by as much as 2lbs. It's usually just a combination of retained water from the extra sodium and carbs in the food and the volume of food itself. It's gone within a couple days and then by the time I do my next unplanned day it's below my previous low weight by a bit. Wouldn't want you to think an uptick means you messed up or ruined everything. :)
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Before you wrote your last post, I was going to say that you seem to know yourself and if you deviate from your plan, you will go off your food plan. But it seems that you have a good handle on it - to plan your maintenance day, etc.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

It doesn't help that the scale almost always goes up after you have had more food which reinforces the idea that any calorie over goal will be met with a swift penalty. I didn't understand that was just (mostly) water weight not weeks of progress undone by one pepperoni pizza. It was a trap that kept catching me.

Yes, keep in mind that on the days you choose to eat a higher calorie level or just enjoy a more indulgent meal without counting, the scale is likely to go up the next day. Mine always does, sometimes by as much as 2lbs. It's usually just a combination of retained water from the extra sodium and carbs in the food and the volume of food itself. It's gone within a couple days and then by the time I do my next unplanned day it's below my previous low weight by a bit. Wouldn't want you to think an uptick means you messed up or ruined everything. :)

I think that continuing to count your calories is a good way to feel like it is all part of the plan. Some people really want the freedom of going off-book and if they feel they need to do it I can't say that it is right or wrong for them. It is wrong for me though. If I choose to eat my maintenance calories for a day or longer I am still working with a calorie goal it is just not the normal one. Normally even if I eat above maintenance I have a calorie limit in mind. Most often that is maintenance and a half. I like having a calorie budget because it keeps me as far from the guy I was as possible. The only time I live by a different set of rules is on vacation and even then I log.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't think I can go off book either as then I'll lose it completely. Today I've actually felt much better....just getting it out there that I was struggling and getting positive responses has really helped. I need to log or I will just revert back to my old habits.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You may find that eating at maintenance for a few days and then going back will see a drop in your weight. Just keep up with working out during eating at maintenance