Dogs and bikes

lokihen
lokihen Posts: 382 Member
On my first outside ride since my knee injury, blissfully thinking my worst problem would be sore sit bones...bit by a dog.

Definitely got my heart rate up. Ha!

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    edited June 2019
    Ouch. Did it break skin? Was its owner there? Did it have its rabies shots? A local runner was bitten while hiking. He was in too much of a hurry to get away from the dog to ask about a rabies certificate, so ended up having to get shots. When I was bitten I didn't even think to ask about it, because I was just anxious to get away from the over-excited dog.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    I drove back and talked to the owner from the safety of my car. Yes on rabies shots. Made sure it would be restrained in the morning from now on.

No bleeding, just a big bruise and scrape. Could have been much worse.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    I drove back and talked to the owner from the safety of my car. Yes on rabies shots. Made sure it would be restrained in the morning from now on.

No bleeding, just a big bruise and scrape. Could have been much worse.

Sounds like you got lucky on this one, somewhat, at least. Feel better!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Glad you are ok. Dogs make me very nervous on the bike. Even leashed doggies can get tangled up with a bike. “Oh he’s friendly” the owner assures you. Sorry poochie, I don’t want a friendly dog anywhere near me and my bike. 🐶
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I was bitten by a dog on a bike ride as well. Luckily we don’t have rabies here but it still hurt. Sorry to hear
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I've been chased a few times. Towards the end of a hilly 100 km (62 miles) I was getting exhausted when I went by a house with an unleased dog on the front porch. The dog barked at me in a way that said here wanted to eat my heart while it was still beating. Then he gave chase. I didn't have much sprint in me, and it was a fast dog.

I through my water bottle at the dog and missed, but he chased it long enough for me to get away. (You can also try squirting your bottle at them, I didn't wait for him to get so close.)

I didn't really want to give up a water bottle, but I could see where this was going.
  • MileMarker641
    MileMarker641 Posts: 13 Member
    My nightmare. My dog is reactive toward rollerblades, skateboards, and scooters and I would be horrified if he somehow got away from me and bit someone. Glad it wasn't a worse injury!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    my collie believes people do not belong on wheels unless the words "car ride" are involved. my other collie felt the same way too
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Glad you are ok. Dogs make me very nervous on the bike. Even leashed doggies can get tangled up with a bike. “Oh he’s friendly” the owner assures you. Sorry poochie, I don’t want a friendly dog anywhere near me and my bike. 🐶

owner: "Don't worry, my dog is friendly."

me: " I worry.... and your dog has teeth."
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Yep. In the same vein, "I don't know you or your dog and don't want to either."
  • Neightyre29
    Neightyre29 Posts: 47 Member
    tut tut owner really should have those vices sorted before allowing off leash. My big alsatian would lunge at cyclists when I got her but making her sit by my side for every passerby and even cat that came into view. I really wouldn't have liked to have to have her put down because of MY negligence. Hope you heal ok!
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    I am terrified of dogs. I don't like dogs. I'm aware that it makes me a horrible human being in 2019 American culture to feel that way, but that's my reality.

Last summer I was on a local bike trail that prohibits dogs. I was going maybe 16 mph - which was slow, and safe for this particular stretch of trail. I came upon an older gentleman with a small fluffy pooch on a retractable leash. I slowed down. He let the leash out and it became tangled in the crank on my bike. I came off the bike and the dog got flung a few feet and was struggling to breathe. Still clipped in and bleeding, I managed to unhook the dog from his leash. The dog ran. The owner didn't ask if I was ok or acknowledge me at all, grabbed the dog, and put him back on the leash. He proceeded on his walk.

There is also a man that frequents the local MTB trails that has a dog who is a serial biter. He's bitten half a dozen people. He can't ever produce a rabies certificate, but because the dog has bitten so many people, we assume the animal doesn't have rabies. Many folks have had to have rabies vaccinations, which locally costs our counties several thousand dollars. I'd venture to guess that this dog has cost our local counties well over 50K. For whatever reason, the dog hasn't been put down. When I see his car, I leave since I know the dog is present.

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    keithwp99 wrote: »

Yep. In the same vein, "I don't know you or your dog and don't want to either."

Both QFT. I used to like dogs, but I live in a part of the US where that are revered-to the point of bringing them EVERYWHERE, including the grocery store. I was bitten on a trail run by a dog on a leash. I see so many unleashed dogs on the trail, and it’s too hard to police the owners. This is America-do what you want. Those rules aren’t for my dog.

I could go on and on... 🙄
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member

My mom was told the dog was friendly shortly before the bite that resulted in this happened >.<

yoimr42k6709.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    edited June 2019
    misskris78 wrote: »
    I am terrified of dogs. I don't like dogs. I'm aware that it makes me a horrible human being in 2019 American culture to feel that way, but that's my reality.

Last summer I was on a local bike trail that prohibits dogs. I was going maybe 16 mph - which was slow, and safe for this particular stretch of trail. I came upon an older gentleman with a small fluffy pooch on a retractable leash. I slowed down. He let the leash out and it became tangled in the crank on my bike. I came off the bike and the dog got flung a few feet and was struggling to breathe. Still clipped in and bleeding, I managed to unhook the dog from his leash. The dog ran. The owner didn't ask if I was ok or acknowledge me at all, grabbed the dog, and put him back on the leash. He proceeded on his walk.

There is also a man that frequents the local MTB trails that has a dog who is a serial biter. He's bitten half a dozen people. He can't ever produce a rabies certificate, but because the dog has bitten so many people, we assume the animal doesn't have rabies. Many folks have had to have rabies vaccinations, which locally costs our counties several thousand dollars. I'd venture to guess that this dog has cost our local counties well over 50K. For whatever reason, the dog hasn't been put down. When I see his car, I leave since I know the dog is present.

The dog that bit my mom was a serial attacker too but her town got right on it. The dog was already ordered to be confined at the time of the attack.

After being summoned to a hearing, the owner claimed she moved the dog out of state, and the town let it go. (They would have persisted if the dog had remained in-state.)
  • rickdkitson
    rickdkitson Posts: 86 Member
    I thought that this thread would be about taking your dog for a run while you biked. Not that good an idea for the dog. He will be running most of the time which can lead to hip problems in some large breeds, better to just walk a dog somewhere he can go off leash and run but have time to stop and sniff.

For other people's dogs, a can of pepper spray is an essential bike accessory. They get close and show any aggression then spray.

Dog joke time

Does your dog bite?

No

Ouch, that dog just bit me.

Not my dog.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    I’m so sorry you suffered a bite today while riding. Thankfully, I haven’t been bitten but I have encountered dogs with leashes strung across the entire width of the trail.
    Dog owners, please keep your pets on a short leash. It’s very difficult to stop a bike quickly and safely!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member

Said my neighbor the afternoon his dog bit me and a couple of months before the same dog bit a 7-year old and she had to have 3 surgeries. He voluntarily gave up that dog, but now has 2 more. The kids on our street can no longer walk to the bus stop alone because kids and parents are afraid of the dogs. And he says———-
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I’m so sorry you were bitten. Please report it to the police/dog control in your area. Please stop the dog before it gets a child.