how to make store bought bone broth taste good?

Options
how to make store bought unsalted bone broth taste good?

could i add some tumeric powder to bone broth?

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options

What do you want to use it for?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Any reason you need to eat the bone broth? I don't like it either, I always choose vegetable broth.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you need to avoid salt? Because if not, adding salt would be my first suggestion. And maybe some onion and garlic powder and like someone else suggest, some Tumeric.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I've only tried store bought beef stock, not bone broth per se. Not sure how interchangeable the terms are. However, after making my own stock from bones I will never go back to using store bought stock again.

I make beef stock from marrow bones that I buy at the store.

I make my more commonly used stock from leftover chicken and beef bones that I store in a ziplock bag in the freezer until I am ready to make stock.

For chicken stock, I fill the crock pot most of the way with bones and then add water to the top. I cook on high for the first hour and then on low for 8 or so hours.

For beef stock, I fill the crock pot 1/3 to 1/2 way with bones and then add water to the top. I cook on high for the first hour and then on low for 10 or so hours.

I've roasted beef bones in the oven first and am not convinced that is worth the effort.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options

I add lemongrass and fish sauce or liquid aminos + star anise to mine for an Asian flavor
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

That will only help if you like turmeric.

Lots of good suggestions upstream. Assuming that adding salt is not an option, I would choose spices and herbs that work with the profile of whatever you're making with the broth. A little vinegar or citrus can help "wake it up." A little wine or beer can help bring out the umami flavor -- similarly miso (but you're running into sodium there) or mushroom powder.
  • AquaMeow
    AquaMeow Posts: 296 Member
    Options

I just boil it and drink it and it tastes good :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    If adding salt is an option I would suggest some instant dashi powder. That to me is the best tasting instant broth. Second best instant broth is an *asian* chicken stock cube you can find in asian supermarkets. The Knorr chicken cubes for the Thai market contain garlic powder and taste really different from the ones manufactured for the western market. A dash of good fish sauce will increase the umami hit but adds salt too. Of the cheap widely available brands I like Tiparos from Thailand. The best top end fish sauce is Red Boat from Vietnam but is quite expensive.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it don't buy it. Make your own, it's easy. If you don't like bone broth in general, you really don't have to use it. Make your soups with whatever broth you like. I personally prefer chicken broth and vegetable broth, so that's what I use.