Non Perishable & Microwavable??

Options
ljbw12
ljbw12 Posts: 7 Member
I need some help. I'm without a refrigerator and oven/stove top for about a week. Any suggestions for non perishable and microwave friendly foods that won't wreck my calorie goals?

Replies

• MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ouch. That sucks. Personally, I'd opt for a camp stove and cooler.
    Wish I had more suggestions for you.
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That's rough! When we were remodeling our kitchen I was without a stove for a couple months, but I did have my fridge!
    There are lots of canned soups you can have that are very low in calories - just watch out for the sodium content. And there are some "tv dinners" that are shelf stable. You'll have to look at the nutritional info on the package to see if they will work for you; most of those seem to be more "comfort," ie. high calorie options like beef stew or chicken with noodles.
    You can also stop at a grocery store and buy fresh produce (or even utilize their salad bar) - you'll just have to eat it the same day you purchase it unless you're able to have a cooler.
    Good Luck to you!!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Fresh produce that is okay without refrigeration (tomatoes, apples, bananas, other fruits), protein bars, jerky, cereal, shelf stable milk, nuts and nut butter, dried fruit, shelf stable tofu, bread, anything canned or otherwise shelf stable (beans, veggies, soups, etc.). You can cook dry rice in the microwave, or get instant or precooked rice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Anyone know if there are lower calorie versions of MREs? The ones I had in the military were quite caloric as they were designed for active military personnel in the field.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm a backpacker. When I go on trips, I eat lots of food that is non-perishable/doesn't need refrigeration. Look at food by Good to Go, Backpackers Pantry, and Mountain House (among others). Supplement with fresh veggies and fruits that don't need refrigerated.
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I really like the progresso light soups. I just pour it into a large bowl and microwave it and eat straight from the bowl. There are a bunch of different flavors that could last you through a week.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It took us three weeks to put our kitchen back together. We used a cooler, but then we have block ice available around here, which works a lot better than cubes for this kind of thing. We ate a lot of sandwiches and salads that month.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    When we did a live-in kitchen renovation we did have a camping burner allowing us to to make simple pastas like puttanesca, carbonara, amatriciana made from store cupboard ingredients.

If you only have the microwave I would live on instant ramen with extra veg that keeps at room temperature with eggs poached in the ramen broth. Suggested veg would be snow peas, halved cherry tomatoes, green onions, green beans. You should also be able to serve salads based on tomatoes and cucumber with ready made dressings.

Be aware that for wheat based noodles, ramen can only be made instant by deep frying. The instant ramen based on bean vermicelli or rice noodles are much lower calorie than those with wheat noodles.