Exercises that won't strain hips/glutes?

Hello all!

So, much like the title suggests, I'm looking for some exercises that I can do that won't put any strain on my hips/glutes - In particular, I would love some core or cardio ideas.

I recently injured my hip and I'm not allowed to do most of my normal exercise routine (normally I walk and/or do yoga daily, and run/lift 2-3x weekly) until the doctors determine what treatment plan is going to be needed for my injury. But I'm going a bit stir-crazy being so sedentary.

I would love any ideas for things that I could try until I'm cleared to do my normal activities.

I want to caveat this with I'm not trying to be stupid an injure myself further - just looking for some way to use up some of the excess energy and (hopefully) not lose all of the progress I've made over the past few months.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Do you have access to a pool? Are you allowed to bike?

Have you tried shadow boxing from a seated position?

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Upper body weights with dumbbells. There is a show on PBS called Sit and Be Fit that might help, or search for “seated exercise” on internet.

What does your doctor suggest? If you’re not even allowed to walk then it can be sketchy asking random internet peeps for safe advice. Just sayin’...
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I definitely understand being stir crazy :(

I think it really depends on your injury. The problem with doing core exercises is that your injury could include muscles defined as "core." Many people think the core is just abdominal muscles, but the term usually includes the pelvic floor and may include the glutes. You would not want to risk doing exercises of those muscle groups unless your doctor had cleared you to do so.

I would also be cautious of other exercises that could directly or indirectly strain the injured area, so I'm pretty hesitant to recommend anything. The hips are involved in so many movements, even when it's not obvious that they're being used. For example, even a simple side bend could put strain on the hips depending on how it's done and what your injury is.

I think that part of the body is just too intricately connected to other parts for us to recommend very much. Your doctor or physical therapist would be the best person to ask. In the meantime, I can recommend some good television to binge watch ;)
  • nykoeldkahn
    nykoeldkahn Posts: 14 Member
    @concordancia - My local gym does have a pool. I'm not big on swimming but I was thinking about giving it a try.... The seated shadow boxing is a great idea - I would never have thought of that!

@lorrpb - My doctor told me that I could walk and would likely not injure it further but that I would be in additional pain if I did more than the minimum that I have to do. (I normally walk ~1 mile/day as part of my regular work commute so...) I'll definitely google that PBS show - maybe it'll have some things that I could try!

@apullum - I think that the connection of my hip/glutes to so many other things is the main problem that I'm having coming up with other ideas. My normal core workouts consist of a lot of planks, mountain climbers, etc. all of which rely on your hips/glutes as well as your abs/core so... As far as the binge watching... I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it but I may spend the next couple weeks living vicariously through the contestants on American Ninja Warrior... LOL
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    I agree swimming is a good idea. Try cycling too? If you don’t tax yourself, you could probably do 20 minutes on a light setting. Lifting free weights with your upper body is a great idea! You could work out your chest, back, arms, and shoulders with no strain to your lower body, and many benefits to your upper body!