Does everyone use the extra calories earned from exercise ?

Options
2»

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose last week so I'm guessing I shouldn't use my extra calories earned from exercise ? would be good to get your feedback on this and any tips / advice.

I never do.
  • higginbr
    higginbr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sort. Of
    I use them. All the time. I log everything I eat, and drink, I mean everything. That sandwich I just made. I include everything the butter, the sauce and garnish, not just the bread and main fillings like I know some people do. If MFP can't find a 100% match and I don't have the info, I use the higher value, or if I don't know the exact weight of food I add an over estimate of weight. that I know I didnt it. Eat it

When it comes to my exercise (cycling) I have a HRM strap and other kit to help me get an better calorie used count. I then assume thats high so take 100 or so of it.
  • MichelleMinn
    MichelleMinn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do that too, higginbr, err on the side of overestimating.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I had not been eating calories back. I decided to give it a shot. When I did, I lost nothing that week. So now, I’m back to not eating my calories back.

So you gave it one week? That's not exactly a fair trial, honestly. I don't think OP should take this experience as anything other than anecdotal and based on a woefully insufficient time frame.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    And to respond to OP, yes, I eat my exercise calories back. Because I earned those MFers and I'm already at between 1300-1400 calories a day, so too close to 1200 NOT to eat them back! I just estimate low on the calories burned. I'm losing weight consistently week over week, and I'm not hungry all the damn time.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No, never. Since only 20% of weight loss is from exercise, I just treat it like a bonus for me. That's one of the reason people who work out don't always lose weight as fast as they hope- they are overestimating how many calories they are burning and eating more than they should. BTW, this came from my doctor, so it's not just my opinion. :-)

Your doctor doesn't understand how MFP works. If I didn't account for my exercise calories I would keel over. MFP gives me around 1900 calories to lose 1 Lb per week...that is without any exercise. I regularly ride 30+ miles on my bike and can burn 1,000+ calories. If I didn't account for those and eat at least a portion of those back, my net calorie intake would be a mere 900 calories and no grown man should be netting 900 calories.

This. I'm training for a half marathon at the moment, which means I'm running three times a week, with my long runs up to 9 miles. I'll easily burn 1000 calories, which is half of my daily allotment. You best believe I'm eating those back (and still losing to boot). There's a certain amount of fudge in the values based on how accurate the estimated burns are for you, how accurately you're logging your food (eyeball vs measuring spoon vs food scale), etc, but if you're doing everything as intended, MFP expects you to eat your exercise calories back.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I don't ..it just factors in to help with mistakes and slips along the way.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    When you only get 1300 cals a day, you eat every one of those suckers. Even 100 cals makes a difference for me.

Feeeelllss! I get 1360 a day, so I eat every exercise calorie hahaha
  • CazzieH123
    CazzieH123 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No, never. Since only 20% of weight loss is from exercise, I just treat it like a bonus for me. That's one of the reason people who work out don't always lose weight as fast as they hope- they are overestimating how many calories they are burning and eating more than they should. BTW, this came from my doctor, so it's not just my opinion. :-)

Your doctor doesn't understand how MFP works. If I didn't account for my exercise calories I would keel over. MFP gives me around 1900 calories to lose 1 Lb per week...that is without any exercise. I regularly ride 30+ miles on my bike and can burn 1,000+ calories. If I didn't account for those and eat at least a portion of those back, my net calorie intake would be a mere 900 calories and no grown man should be netting 900 calories.

If I was hungry I would eat some of mine, at the moment I'm exercising in the gym and walking and find I dont need too. Your situation I can see why you would.
  • turnpike1920
    turnpike1920 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone , Im finding this site supportive and encouraging.