Discovery of performance-enhancing bacteria in the human microbiome

Options

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I find that type of stuff interesting Pier. Here's a different article on it. But as this one points out, it's not clear if they have more of that bacteria since it feeds on Lactic Acid in the first place. How do you get huge amounts of lactic acid? By doing harder cardio sessions. So it seems like the body adapts to utilize that Lactic Acid and these bacteria help consume it (and make cardio less painful).

Certainly, as others have mentioned, not causal, but interesting how the body interacts with the bacteria within it.

https://www.livescience.com/65780-athletes-gut-bacteria-boost-performance.html
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    My apologies for not doing a better job of vetting what I posted above. It came from a link of a Twitter account of a person who posts quality content.

With regard to monetizing, aren't protein supplements the king of monetization?

I like to self-experiment to see what something offers me while being mindful of the limitations of an n=1 "science experiment." Having said that, I have no plans to test this performance-enhancing bacteria in my near future.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You don't need to vet articles before posting them, especially when you're song for opinions on them!
  • MikePfirrman
    edited June 2019
    Options
    There's obviously something to the science of it, but it's slowly growing, mostly because there's been limited backing by Pharmaceutical companies. Nearly all of the research has been funded by universities, speculative investors/Angel Investors and VCs. Pharm has, until recently, sat on the sidelines watching. AstraZenica, though, just partnered with Seres Therapeutics. Seres is probably the furthest along science based start-up in the Microbiome therapeutics space. The fact that AstraZenica partnered with them drove their stock up 64% in one day. Seres has some pretty bright people associated with MIT involved. They've certainly had some setbacks along the way.

I keep a pretty close eye on this space as I work with science based start-ups. There are some wild *kitten* ideas out there. But sometimes, the wild ideas are just that, other times they are revolutionary. I worked (I'm dating myself) with the first wind energy companies to come to North America. Critics said that wind energy would never amount to anything (same about solar). Renewables have overtaken conventional power sources this past year. That's a whole different subject, but suffice it to say that the critics were wrong.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    There's obviously something to the science of it, but it's slowly growing, mostly because there's been limited backing by Pharmaceutical companies. Nearly all of the research has been funded by universities, speculative investors/Angel Investors and VCs. Pharm has, until recently, sat on the sidelines watching. AstraZenica, though, just partnered with Seres Therapeutics. Seres is probably the furthest along science based start-up in the Microbiome therapeutics space. The fact that AstraZenica partnered with them drove their stock up 64% in one day. Seres has some pretty bright people associated with MIT involved. They've certainly had some setbacks along the way.

I keep a pretty close eye on this space as I work with science based start-ups. There are some wild *kitten* ideas out there. But sometimes, the wild ideas are just that, other times they are revolutionary. I worked (I'm dating myself) with the first wind energy companies to come to North America. Critics said that wind energy would never amount to anything (same about solar). Renewables have overtaken conventional power sources this past year. That's a whole different subject, but suffice it to say that the critics were wrong.
    No surprise on the bolded given AstraZenica's profile in the space.

On that last paragraph though - I don't believe I've seen anyone here at all ever criticize the actual, available information or the news that this field of study has huge potential. What I have personally been critical of is manipulation of information to make this field appear more usable in the short term by individuals.

Again, even the source you posted earlier contained a cautionary note regarding getting too carried away. that's not being critical, that's being smart and cautious.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Here's a great article not only on the potential, but also some of the ongoing challenges.

https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/spotlight-microbiome-deals-collaborations-manda/517459/

@Phirrgus - I agree with everything you're saying, but wildly optimistic and even unethical could be also said of some pharmaceutical drug introductions as well. Wildly overpromising and underdelivering.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Here's a great article not only on the potential, but also some of the ongoing challenges.

https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/spotlight-microbiome-deals-collaborations-manda/517459/

@Phirrgus - I agree with everything you're saying, but wildly optimistic and even unethical could be also said of some pharmaceutical drug introductions as well. Wildly overpromising and underdelivering.

Oh my goodness yes LOL. I hope I never alluded otherwise... :)

Edit: Thanks for the link, informative on the challenges.