Samsung S

Options
So I use the Samsung health app for steps walked and heres a picture of my highest recorded count. Do I add calories burnt to my bmr or is that my tdee? Also I dont have a watch so how would I calculate my weight lifting sessions as well?m037fp30wth2.jpg

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Did you actually walk 36 miles in one day?
    (Reason I ask is that my phone picks up all sorts of movement as steps.)

Log your weight training under the Cardiovascular part of the exercise diary (not the Strength Training section as that's just a journal with no calorie functionality) - search for "strength training" and log entire duration of your session as rests between sets are expected. It's just a rough estimate but usable.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'd log the steps as exercise calories and leave the BMR/TDEE alone. My preferred method on MFP is to set my profile to sedentary and then just log everything as exercise calories. I'm sure any other app has a similar capability.

There's not an accurate way to get calorie counts for weight lifting. The best you can do is estimate and then track everything and see what's happening with your weight gain/loss and then adjust things accordingly. As @sijomial mentioned, MFP has a decent calorie estimate under Cardiovascular->Strength Training that makes a good starting point.

Do you have a job where you're on your feet all day? My place of business has an incentive program where if you track steps they'll throw $25/quarter into a spending account. They'll occasionally have competitions between divisions and you can see what other people do as far as step counts. The people in service divisions that do things like inventory and delivery get crazy step counts like that.
  • tec9goo
    tec9goo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    I'd log the steps as exercise calories and leave the BMR/TDEE alone. My preferred method on MFP is to set my profile to sedentary and then just log everything as exercise calories. I'm sure any other app has a similar capability.

There's not an accurate way to get calorie counts for weight lifting. The best you can do is estimate and then track everything and see what's happening with your weight gain/loss and then adjust things accordingly. As @sijomial mentioned, MFP has a decent calorie estimate under Cardiovascular->Strength Training that makes a good starting point.

Do you have a job where you're on your feet all day? My place of business has an incentive program where if you track steps they'll throw $25/quarter into a spending account. They'll occasionally have competitions between divisions and you can see what other people do as far as step counts. The people in service divisions that do things like inventory and delivery get crazy step counts like that.

So just do bmr+ the calories burned on that picture?
  • GaryRuns
    Options
    tec9goo wrote: »

Yes. That's how I'd do it.
  • tec9goo
    tec9goo Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Wait wait. Sorry I keep eating my words. I just saw that you said to do sedentary tdee + calories burned. Do I do that or the bmr + burned?
    Again So Sorry!😂👍
  • GaryRuns
    Options

Wait wait. Sorry I keep eating my words. I just saw that you said to do sedentary tdee + calories burned. Do I do that or the bmr + burned?
    Again So Sorry!😂👍

That's okay, I agreed when you said BMR but really what I would use would be TDEE calculated using a "sedentary" job/life and then use what your Samsung app is telling you you burned, plus any other activity like weight lifting.

In all reality it's not that critical. Calorie counting, to some degree, is a big guessing game, even when you weigh your food. What really matters is watching the trend of your weight and adjusting accordingly. Weight trending up while trying to lose weight? Eat less. Weight trending down while trying to gain? Eat more.