Fitbit exercise

Options
Hello!
Does anyone know why MFP logs your fitbit calories differently to fit bit? For example, I did a swim which my fitbit says burned 701 calories, but MFP says I """earned""" an extr 497? I mean I don't really mind which it should be, but I don't get why it's different?
Thank you :)

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    There's a few things. First is that the 701 calories you burned during swimming according to Fitbit includes your BMR. That means the total calorie burn is what you would have burned at that time just by lying around added to the additional calories you burned by swimming. So say you burned that 701 calories swimming for two hours, maybe 550 of that was actually from swimming and 151 of that is what you would have burned anyway if you didn't swim just by merely existing. You didn't burn an additional 701 calories from swimming that you get to add onto your calorie goal for the day.

That being said, when you set up MFP you chose an activity level; Sedentary, Lightly Active, Active, or Highly Active. Fitbit sends its data over to MFP which then adjusts your calories in a positive or negative direction. If you've exceeded the activity level you've set for yourself that day, you will see your calorie allowance increase. Right now you're being given an extra 497 calories to eat for the day based on the swimming and any other movement you've done for the day thus far.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Because that MFP Adjustment is NOT just exercise.

It is the difference between Fitbit with everything minus MFP estimated with no exercise at a daily activity level you selected.

You could have no exercise and be very active and have big adjustment.
    You could have huge workout and sleep extra and have no adjustment.
    Or combo of both.

And if you selected an activity level that doesn't match what you actually do - bigger the adjustment.

In your case - did big swim, and less than the activity level you selected.

Hence an adjustment less than the workout.

Here's the info. If you like math and really want to know what's going on - read 2nd section couple times.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1

You'll have some days being more active than level you selected, and a workout - so adjustment bigger than the workout.

MFP, Fitbit, others - are trying to teach a life lesson about weight maintenance.
    You do more - you eat more.
    You do less - you eat less.

In a diet a tad less in either case to hopefully lose at reasonable rate and sustain it.