Options
2»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Momjogger wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    You don’t count your protein powder? A scoop of mine is more than 100 calories. I definitely count it (and weigh it).
    Mine is 130 calories and I do not count it. It is going towards refueling my muscles after my work out, so I take it as a zero sum game and don't worry about it. I also do not eat back weight lifting calories, only cardio, so I guess if you eat back your calories when you weight lift, it would be similar.

I weigh and log everything. All calories count. Plus, every protein powder scoop I've ever had holds more than the recommended serving.

If you are losing like you want to, it's fine. If you stop losing, then you may want to reconsider.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Mine is 130 calories and I do not count it. It is going towards refueling my muscles after my work out, so I take it as a zero sum game and don't worry about it.

You could make a paste out of it and spread it directly onto your muscles, then maybe the calories wouldn't count.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    You don’t count your protein powder? A scoop of mine is more than 100 calories. I definitely count it (and weigh it).
    Mine is 130 calories and I do not count it. It is going towards refueling my muscles after my work out, so I take it as a zero sum game and don't worry about it. I also do not eat back weight lifting calories, only cardio, so I guess if you eat back your calories when you weight lift, it would be similar.

I mean you probably burn about 130 calories from lifting, so sure, eating 130 calories afterwards and not logging your exercise calories roughly probably works out to a wash. But there is nothing about it going to refueling your muscles after workout that make the calories count any less than any other calories you intake.
  • jlmerritt1018
    jlmerritt1018 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your'e not going to lose any more weight eating under 1400 calories. Especially lifting.I would add in about 500 calories for a re-feed phase and then drop about 250 calories again. That small of an amount of food is horrible for your health despicably since your lifting every single day. There is absolutely no way your body is recovering from lifting or any sort of physical stress at all. Please do not use MFP calorie recommendations.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Except that I don’t do the same thing for cardio, only weight lifting, and if I wasn’t weight lifting, I wouldn’t be drinking a protein shake because I wouldn’t need the additional protein, so I don’t count the additional protein towards my macro goals.
  • Dukare
    Dukare Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This is an issue for me as well. I've found that a combination of eating small, frequent, high-protein meals/snacks, ensuring I get plenty of water and protein overall daily, and about once a week planning a high-calorie day help a great deal. That one day does slow my weight loss, but with lifting it ends up being body recomp anyway. It also keeps me sane and feeling strong.

I hope this helps you!

I agree! I found also upping the veggies along with protein... and giving yourself those heavy calorie days really helps.

Personally I actually get hungry after a workout day... but it ends up balancing. If you are taking in plenty of water- over 64oz, protein and nutrient- rich foods balanced, also consider craving vs hunger, and sleep.... then some days you just Need to listen to your body and feed it!

I was told for serious burn, within first 15 min after, have a piece of fruit or (particularly for serious weight lift days) having 8oz fat free light chocolate milk is really great for you. It helps in recovery for your muscles.
  • 33bbcc33
    33bbcc33 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I only lift twice a week and bike around 3 times. 1330 was my base but with cardio I would always eat more cause I'd add those calories back in. But I think 1500 as a minimum base is probably a better goal. I'm starting to see small changes. I have also looked into IF in which I'd eat the amount of calories I need, just in smaller eating windows. Which may benefit me and my hunger cues.