How did you pick your goal weight?

Options
Was it just a number you wanted to always be? A BMI calculation? Or do you have several milestones you want to hit and a big goal overall?

I want to see if other people have a better way than picking a number just because it sounds good .

I started at 250 in June last year right before I gave birth. Now I’m weighing in about 194. I’m not sure what my big goal weight should be because all I’ve ever said is I just want to be healthy.

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options
    BMI.. just below the overweight line..
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My goal is getting back to the weight I was in high school as I was very comfortable in that range.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is 150. I had been 148 before I got sick and felt good. Today my mini goal is 200. After that, every 5 pounds.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    It's a moving target. I'm mostly interested in getting my body fat percentage down to a healthy level, so I'm adjusting my target weight as I go to approach the desired end.
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same boat. I’ve never been a healthy weight that I can remember so I have no frame of reference for what that would look like on me. I picked 145 because it’s the high end of the healthy BMI range for my height, but right now I can’t even wrap my head around that number. I’ll see how I feel as I get closer to it and adjust if necessary.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    congrats on your progress so far!

It changed with time for me. first was to get into a healthy BMI (normal weight). Then to the weight i got to the first time i lost weight (like 135? not sure). then i hit that and it was going well so i went for mid-way of the healthy BMI for my height. and well i just kept readjusting which is probably not the smartest.
  • dloewen17
    dloewen17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I was in the best shape of my life my senior year of high school and looking at pics from then I decided to make that my target weight which was 168. My 4 closest buddies are pretty athletic and still play lots of sports and they are all in the 170 pound range so I wanted to fit in I guess. I hated being the fat one.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My favourite adult weight was my initial goal.

Turned out to be a little too high but then just experimented in a series of small downward steps until I was happy how I felt/performed/looked. After a while that lower weight became a bit too low to maintain easily so came back up a little again. As I change or my fitness targets change my goal weight changes too.

Most of the time that has turned out to be near the top of the BMI Healthy range.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    My body was pretty happy in the 126-130 range (so right around 128) for the first half of my adult life. When I had active jobs, that was a pretty easy weight for me to maintain with reasonable course corrections.

Desk jobs and overall activity dropping, and not adjusting my eating, weight crept up. Heaviest was around 163-166. Lost some from there, fluctuating between 148-158 depending on my dedication. Lowest purposeful loss was down to about 140, increased my workouts and got up to about 145, was slowly dropping when a bad injury sent me on another spiral - lost a lot initially with the injury (some muscle, some weight), but ended up gaining back most of my losses (I knew it, too, but didn't care at the time).

Back to losing it again, my goal is still around 128, but allowing for a few pounds difference due to focused weight training which may move that up a few pounds - so right now the goal is to get to into the 130s and just access as I go. I figure I will likely land closer to 132ish.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My goal changes depending on my body composition, but overall it has been around the same range my whole adult life.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I went for a BMI based number. I started at about 27.5 and have been maintaining 22.0-22.9 for about a year. I’m pretty althletic and do a fair bit of sport.
    I may revise the bottom of the range to 21.5 but wouldn’t want to go any lower than that.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    When I was at my highest weight (193) my goal was to get into the healthy BMI range (Under 179). Then I decided I could do better. Over the years I've learned that I'm at my best between 150 - 155 (but have dropped as low as 140). I think it's a case of trial and error. Like most things.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    165 lbs is my goal, I chose that weight because it's the last healthy weight I've been as an adult and I felt fit and healthy. Still not there yet, but I'm working in it.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I want to be 58kg to 60kg so I can fight at 55kg. I'm sick of being the shorter person in a fight.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I just picked somewhere in the middle of my healthy bmi range as a guideline. My original goal was the top of the bmi range, but when I hit that I decided I wanted to lose more, so I moved it for this round (I gained weight back in between lol).
  • Kita1818
    Kita1818 Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    My senior year high school weight was a guide, but not a goal. I’m not a girl, I’m a woman. Thank G-d! And i’m also a mother in my late 30s. So I added 5 pounds to my HS weight and set it as a goal. Random? Yeah, you could say that. But achievable, as I weighed as much as an adult before pregnancy.