I fear my fat, but I also fear loose skin

Options
I would like to lose around 30 pounds in the next 8-12 months. I am terrified of having loose skin after!! I’m 26 and have been overweight for a few years/it took years to gain weight. I am looking at going from 190 to 160, hopefully... will I get loads of loose skin!?

Any advice for preventing loose skin would be appreciated!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Slow weight loss and resistance training will help with loose skin, however it is not a guarantee.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds and had loose skin after. It was still well worth it! I would rather look good in my clothes and not as good naked than look bad in and out of my clothes, lol. Trust me though it slowly snaps back. It's been almost 2 years and I am impressed at how much my butt and thighs have improved. I had a tummy tuck for my stomach but trust me I had a good reason. I'd had two 9+ pound babies and that wasn't gonna come back.

I was 59 when I started losing so at your age it may not be as bad.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Based on your amount you plan to lose and your rate of planned loss, if you follow your plan I would imagine you would be at a very low risk of loose skin, particularly if you incorporate weight lifting or other resistance training. Loose skin is most common with people who either lose rapidly or lose 100 or more pounds.

I've lost 35 pounds in the last 9 months while also exercising and I don't have a spec of loose skin anywhere. I would not unnecessarily worry about it. Just make sure to follow your goals and eat all your calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50 pounds at age 59-60 after decades of obesity, and my loose skin shrank pretty well . . . but it took time: It was shrinking well into year 2 of maintenance, and maybe beyond. It's pretty common for loose skin to shrink more slowly than fat loss happens, and it can seem (when only part way to goal weight) that loose skin will be worse than it actually will. That last is because skin can't really shrink much while remaining subcutaneous fat is conspiring with gravity to keep skin stretched. Once the fat is depleted enough, the skin can adjust. (True loose skin is thin wrinkles, like wrinkles in fabric: Think about what it looks like when you pinch up some skin on a bony body part like your kneecap or the back of your hand. Wrinkles or rolls of 1/2"-ish or more still have some underlying fat.)

The best things you can do are the things that keep skin healthy, which is the same things you'd do to keep other organs healthy: Don't try to lose weight crazy fast, get well-rounded nutrition, get some healthy exercise (strength and cardiovascular), hydrate properly, get enough sleep.

At your age, with so relatively little weight to lose, you're likely to be fine, given time and patience.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    after my 40 pound loss I have a apron under my belly and on each side of underarms... disgusting. I can't exercise due to health. I am fearful to lose more but need to as still at 245. I do try to do sitting arm weights but have to even be careful of shoulder issues ugh getting old is a major drag and a half!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    after my 40 pound loss I have a apron under my belly and on each side of underarms... disgusting. I can't exercise due to health. I am fearful to lose more but need to as still at 245. I do try to do sitting arm weights but have to even be careful of shoulder issues ugh getting old is a major drag and a half!

Take heart! The middle part is often the worst, and since you still have weight to lose what you're seeing is subcutaneous fat pulling the skin down. This gets much, much better as you approach a normal weight range.
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    This is my fear also. I have been doing strength training to help tone and lots of grape seed oil. I am looking to lose 100lbs total and I am down 60. There is extra skin for sure but not as bad as I had expected.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Another vote for slow weight loss and resistance training, which will help with body composition. Also, similar to what others have said, I don't think going from 190 to 160, especially gradually and at 26 will cause too much of an issue. Granted, unless you're over 5'8" 160 is still "overweight" by BMI standards and you may ultimately need/want/choose to go lower than 160 when it's all said and done.
  • LittleLightShine
    LittleLightShine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I started doing intermittent fasting after reading Dr. Jason Fung's comments that his patients have never had to have skin surgery. I had 80lbs to lose so a very big concern for me. I truly believe autophagy does work for loose skin. 52lbs down and I don't see any signs of a problem. We'll see!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I lost 27 pounds at age 52 and had no loose skin whatsoever.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I lost 27 pounds at age 52 and had no loose skin whatsoever.

Ditto, 6 years ago - healthy weight range to fitness aesthetics. The fear-mongering was something else.

ETA: Year before, Nov '12 - Still obese, weighing < 400 lbs.