Let's talk embarrassing victories! Baldness, bowels, odours and icky!

Options
Neightyre29
Neightyre29 Posts: 47 Member
edited June 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I started eating better for weight loss. But it turns out that already in a month there have been some huge differences. I want to preface this by saying I was a person that ate maybe a bowls worth of vegetables once a year. Mcdees 3x a week was normal. I ate a lot and nothing was nutritional. This last month.. I gave up takeaway. I have a salad every single day, even though it sometimes makes me gag. But seeing the below changes in me... I don't think I can ever go back. Really.

At 27(female), 5'6 and 16 stone (my original starting weight before I came to MFP) I was losing my hair. At 29 I had/have a hand-sized bald patch ontop of my head. I had to unclog the drain after EVERY shower. After a month of healthy eating I realised today that I shed a single hair. I hadn't even noticed that I haven't been unclogging the shower. I have a ton of baby hairs just starting (shock face) and my hair is MUCH fuller and stronger than I remember it being since a teenager.

My terrible bowel habits/issues before. Just wow. The amount of visible OIL on the waters surface. The mess. The struggles! The bloating. Did I mention MESS? Who would have thought eating better would make this aspect of life far more.. enjoyable lol.

I used to always feel like I was being bitten and stung all over but it was 100% just me. No insects no bedbugs! Since eating better and more nutritionally they have gone away. It used to keep me up at night!! No idea if it's just the eating but truly, that is the biggest 180 I've done to explain it...

My general body odour. I used to smell like a teenage boy. My bedroom just had that stank. I am not a dirty person, I washed my clothes and bed sheets weekly. I changed my socks and underwear daily. My sweat would stink a mere hour after working one up (y'know, by just doing the shopping...). I would re-enter my bedroom in the evenings and just be depressed. I mean I showered everyday, just like I do now?! I am not as smelly anymore or as greasy.

SO... what about you?

Replies

• TarzanMoo
    TarzanMoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have just started my journey and reading this post is inspiring! I can relate to a few things on your list like hairloss! I thought it was maybe from becoming vegetarian but thruthfully it's because I've eaten so badly in the past year (pizza is still veggie) and even at 27 I have so many spots! Looking forward to all the benefits of weightloss! Congratulations on your 180 change! 😊
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I barely ever pass gas anymore. I'm 95% less gassy lol.

I also never ate veggies and went to McD's a few times a week. It's right across the street from my house. Now I go there every day but only for coffee. We didn't give up takeout, but limited it A LOT. Once a month or so. And I eat broccoli every day.

The most important good: I've only hurt my back once since I started seriously trying to lose weight, and it was better overnight. Previously that would have laid me flat for 3 or 4 days, or longer.

I blamed getting older for how long it took to recover, but now I'm thinking I was just too fat to be able to heal well.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue with itchiness. When I was pregnant with my son 15 years ago I developed cholestasis. I itched and it felt like my skin was on fire. I was put on meds and a low fat diet. I still itch when I eat foods a little higher in fat, especially animal fats.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My nails are actually strong again. I have to keep them cut or filed or they get too long. Definitely a nice new problem to have. Before they would break all the time.