350lbs. Joining Navy

Options
Started December 2018 at 350 pounds and currently sit at 238 as of June 2019. I’m 28 and wanted to join the Navy out of high school but life happened and weight came on.

Gonna start working out this week.

Any tips from anyone that has gone thru boot camp or has dropped a lot of weight before joining the military.

Replies

• delgadodelgado1120
    delgadodelgado1120 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Congratulations on your progress so far! It seems like you know what to do already! At my highest I weighed about 350. I worked out almost every day, did cardio for an hour, and measured everything I ate for about 16 months and I got all the way down to 155. It took time, discipline, and commitment but it is absolutely worth it. You can do it. Don’t let anyone or anything detract you from your goal!
  • TheAssyrian
    TheAssyrian Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I served in the Navy for 6 years. Get your weight down and practice running. You do a surprising amount of it for being on the water so much lol.

Make sure you're drinking plenty of water, counting calories and ditch the drinks with sugar and carbonation (this includes alcohol). Also, every meal needs veggies (broccoli or brussels are best) a carb and protien. Never eat a meal without protien! It's difficult but that's what we're here for, we don't need the easy way out! 💪

Hopefully this advice helps, you can add me if you want! GOOD LUCK!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I don't have personal experience, but a lot of former and active military I know say to look at the readiness test and do what you can to hit those points.

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/21st_Century_Sailor/physical/Pages/Guides.aspx

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/21st_Century_Sailor/physical/Documents/Guide 5-Physical Readiness Test (May 2019).pdf
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Following!!!! I recently decided I want to join the air Force and I'm also 28...well for 2 more weeks 😅. I know I need to get to 160 for my height and I honestly have no clue what my weight is currently...I'm guessing 210?

I've been reading a lot about what they do at boot camp and it looks like running 1.5+ miles every day or every other day.
  • lsmith2077
    lsmith2077 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Congrats!! Im planning on joining the Air Force as a Dentist in the future, right now im 190 but have to get down to 140 at least for my height, but its definitely possible! At my highest weight I was 320 and lost that through running and counting calories on here, just make sure you eat your maintainance calories for a bit if you plateau! It sounds like bull but it really helps. :)