Supplements

Strongfitmama100412
Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
edited June 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello everyone!
Ive been working out since high school (im 44) and have been in the fitness industry as a certified fitness and spinning instructor for 15 years.
I have always had great muscle in my arms and shoulders but after 3 kids (8,6 and 2) And even before kids my belly wouldnt be super flat or show any ab definition.
I eat clean whole real food and always took vitamins. But I tweaked a few things and this past 6 months have seen a huge improvement.

I really love supplements. I know alot of people who say they are a waste of money but I disagree. They are good for muscle recovery and growth

I would love to hear others thoughts on supplements and what others are using and why.

First thing in the morning in my coffee I have collagen peptide. This helps with muscle recovery and joints.
I then take:
Met rx active womens vitamins
Omega 3 EPA and D3
Probiotic
Vitamin B6
CLA

Whey protein in smoothie in morning

After lifting workouts whey protein with BCAA and creatine.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    I would not take Vitamin B6. If you take too much it will likely result in nerve damage. The Dutch recommendation is to not take more than 2mg per day, including all food/drinks.
  • jessicalys
    jessicalys Posts: 27 Member
    I use a Hydrogen tablet that dissolves in water. Has hydrogen, electrolytes, and magnesium. For muscle repair/recover and hydration.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    I would not take Vitamin B6. If you take too much it will likely result in nerve damage. The Dutch recommendation is to not take more than 2mg per day, including all food/drinks.

https://draxe.com/vitamin-b6-benefits/
    Nerve damage only extremely high amounts.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    yirara wrote: »

https://draxe.com/vitamin-b6-benefits/
    Nerve damage only extremely high amounts.

This website doesn't mention what the max. recommended dose is. 21mg was chosen as this is an amount that covers deficiencies and does not lead to overdosing.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I take a pre/post-natal vitamin, vit D, fish oil, plus whey as needed. For me the best supplement to support muscle growth and recovery has been more food (especially carbs).
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Just a protein shake for me if my diet is lacking that particular day. @quiksylver296 Love it :)
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Hello everyone!
    Ive been working out since high school (im 44) and have been in the fitness industry as a certified fitness and spinning instructor for 15 years.
    I have always had great muscle in my arms and shoulders but after 3 kids (8,6 and 2) And even before kids my belly wouldnt be super flat or show any ab definition.
    I eat clean whole real food and always took vitamins. But I tweaked a few things and this past 6 months have seen a huge improvement.

I really love supplements. I know alot of people who say they are a waste of money but I disagree. They are good for muscle recovery and growth

I would love to hear others thoughts on supplements and what others are using and why.

First thing in the morning in my coffee I have collagen peptide. This helps with muscle recovery and joints.
    I then take:
    Met rx active womens vitamins
    Omega 3 EPA and D3
    Probiotic
    Vitamin B6
    CLA

Whey protein in smoothie in morning

After lifting workouts whey protein with BCAA and creatine.

I mean science shows they do next to nothing but ok.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    90% of supplements out there are unneeded, if you're eating decently. Most can get by with just a multi vitamin and fish oil.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    I mean science shows they do next to nothing but ok.
    [/quote]

Not the science that I have read, especially for collagen. Don't dismiss it without looking into it more.
  • Momjogger
    I take a probiotic, multi-vitamin (centrum Silver for Women), flax seed oil, collagen, and magnesium. I use ultima electrolite powder when I am doing a lot of cardio, vegan protein powder for after working out, and Size Slim Recovery BCAA powder during workouts.
  • Momjogger
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    90% of supplements out there are unneeded, if you're eating decently. Most can get by with just a multi vitamin and fish oil.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Look into collagen - for those of us that are getting older (me), it has many benefits - joints, hair, nails, skin, heart, muscles.