Options
2»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Way overthinking this.

I had mine pulled in boot camp and was doing PT 24 hours later.

Just stay ahead of the pain and follow the direction of your physician.
  • Dianetheinvincible
    Dianetheinvincible Posts: 18 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Getting wisdom teeth out was a huge ordeal in the olden days :smiley: but I had a wisdom tooth out not quite 3 weeks ago and it was much easier than I expected. Local anesthetic only, I was in and out of there within 45 minutes, no lingering effects except that it took a long time to stop bleeding. They didn't send home any drugs, told me to take ibuprofen together with acetaminophen, which worked fine and I stopped taking it within 24 hours.

Important rules: don't do anything within the first 48 hours that could cause you to start bleeding again (significant exercise or anything else that raises your blood pressure). They told me that walking is fine. Do not spit (this is hard to remember when you're brushing your teeth so be careful), and do not suck anything (straws, lollipops, popsicles, cigarettes) for at least several days. These rules are to prevent dislodging the blood clot that forms so you don't get a "dry socket"--which I'm told is excruciating. Last rule, when you resume solid foods don't eat anything with seeds, rice, or other small bits that could get lodged in the wound.

What I ate for the first couple days: applesauce, yogurt, cereal that I let soak in the milk til soft, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, sweet potato sort of mashed, macaroni and cheese, bananas...can't remember what else. If it's not blazing hot where you live, soups are a great option, just don't slurp/suck it off the spoon. I started eating more solid (but not hard) foods in 2 or 3 days, and now I'm eating almost anything, but I'm careful to chew only on the opposite side. I have sutures that are supposed to dissolve on their own.

If you are careful to follow the rules I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that it's not a huge thing. I did lose several pounds since my previous weigh-in but I'm sure some of that is from staying under my calorie goal, and some is probably water. I work outdoors and it's been hot as hell here for weeks so I've been sweating/drinking, sweating/drinking. I imagine next time I weigh in I might be a couple pounds heavier as things even out.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Not a wisdom tooth, but I had oral surgery. Calories were not an issue because it was an excuse for lots of ice cream (which the doctor recommended) and milkshakes. My recovery was kind of hard because it had to do with the bone and I could not chew for a good while, but I didn't lose weight. I suggest taking a maintenance break to recover. Don't overthink it, just log your food/drinks and you should be fine regardless of what the scale tries to tell you while your body recovers.

Man, if I had wisdom teeth left, it would be a great way to enjoy some liquid calories. Knowing how it feels, though, I ain't going through that again.

Well, there is still a chance for me. I only have one wisdom tooth, which decided to show up at the age of 35, and another trying to make its way out this year. No sign of the other two, I guess I'm not wise enough for a full set yet.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Not a wisdom tooth, but I had oral surgery. Calories were not an issue because it was an excuse for lots of ice cream (which the doctor recommended) and milkshakes. My recovery was kind of hard because it had to do with the bone and I could not chew for a good while, but I didn't lose weight. I suggest taking a maintenance break to recover. Don't overthink it, just log your food/drinks and you should be fine regardless of what the scale tries to tell you while your body recovers.

Man, if I had wisdom teeth left, it would be a great way to enjoy some liquid calories. Knowing how it feels, though, I ain't going through that again.

Well, there is still a chance for me. I only have one wisdom tooth, which decided to show up at the age of 35, and another trying to make its way out this year. No sign of the other two, I guess I'm not wise enough for a full set yet.

I had full set, but didn't even have room for my 12-year molars (fortunately, years of orthodontics allowed me to keep those, at least!) let alone wisdom teeth, so I pray for no surprise teeth, lol.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    overthinking. its not that bad. mine where impacted and i had to have them removed by a surgeon and they had to break them into pieces while still attached to my jaw so they could remove them (cause the were impacted.) walked out of the hospital smoking a cigarette and also walked myself home. the worst pain was from the thing they use to stretch out your lips. my cheeks were a bit bruised the next day from it. that's about it.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I had one removed last week. I gained weight eating ice cream 😂 Ok not only ice cream but mostly