Do you like cold soup?

Options
sonilac
sonilac Posts: 55 Member
I know cold soup is not everyone's cup of tea. But i love this one, and it is similar to tzatziki but instead of a dip it is a cold soup. My husband is going to make gazpacho this upcoming weekend, but i don't know how to make it myself. If you have any other cold soup recipes, please share below in comments.
https://mediterraneanlatinloveaffair.com/tarator-albanian-cold-cucumber-soup/
g8encv88z10s.jpg

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    Ajo bianco from Spain is my absolute favourite cold soup. Ground almonds, olive oil, garlic, sherry vinegar, grapes. Sounds weird but I love it. I used to use a recipe that called for a kilo of peeled grapes for 6 people. My husband would beg me to make it but I would only do it if he offered to peel all those grapes.

I have since discovered that making it with halved or sliced seedless grapes works as well, since you get the same mouth feel of the grape flesh hitting your tongue.

Had a quick look for a recipe online. I would not consider the grapes optional in the below. You could even replace the green apple with more grapes.

https://spanishsabores.com/2018/05/27/ajo-blanco-recipe-chilled-almond-soup/
  • acpgee
    Options
    Whoops. I think the recipe I used to use for ajo bianco called for 500g of peeled, de-seeded grapes for 6 servings.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I love chilled asparagus soup. This is my favorite recipe. I just chill it before eating :)
    https://theveglife.com/vegan-roasted-garlic-asparagus-soup/
  • acpgee
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me to make ajo blanco. I ended using this recipe but didn't peel the grapes. It apparently keeps a week in the fridge so I made a batch to have a couple more times this week.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/ajo_blanco_29893
    bbsvlbsgolgr.jpg
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Made gazpacho last year for the first time. We had a lot of tomatoes. Neither my husband or I liked it. The only cold soup I really like is vichyssoise. However, so calorie laden I haven’t made it in a very long time. I don’t know how it would hold up to trying to sub fat free 1/2 and 1/2 for whipping cream. Maybe worth a try.

@acpgee
    Your ajo blanco sounds, and looks amazing.
  • acpgee
    Options
    I wonder how vichyssoise would be if you replaced cream with low fat cottage cheese blitzed in the food processor? I am going to try a combination of cottage cheese and a little butter in mashed potatoes tonight.
  • sonilac
    sonilac Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! You guys are awesome, i will give all these a try. That ajo blanco really looks amazing.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I mostly make them up rather than go from a recipe, but I love cold soups. Some favorites include almost any versions of gazpacho (there are lots of different ways to make it), Julia Child's basic potato-leek soup and then the version with watercress (http://recipe-finder.com/recipe/16881512352129610333), and lately all kinds of asparagus based soups.

A few weeks ago I got some sorrel and that was the inspiration for my most recent cold soup obsession -- I come up with a spring soup based on asparagus, peas, and sorrel, and since then I've been playing around with different ideas.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I went out for lunch yesterday to this little, tiny place that opened here last winter. They served a cold cantaloupe soup. It was really good. On the sweet side though. I looked up a recipe for it online. I think I’ll try making some. It’s miserably hot & humid here right now.
  • mjnoliver
    mjnoliver Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cold soup rocks! My fave is a version of Gazpacho using frozen veggies from Aldi. I make an individual portion in a Magic Bullet. I do it by eye in terms of quantity of ingredients: start by filling a quarter of the cup with passata. Fill tomhalf the volume of the cup with Aldi frozen diced onion and Aldi frozen mixed peppers. Add some finely diced fresh cucumber. Top up with sugar, salt, olive oil and sherry vinegar. I add sriracha or Tabasco for a kick. Whiz or up and enjoy immediately. The icy frozen veg chills the soup as you blend it.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have two recipes to share. The first is a cold broccoli soup...it's originally meant to be cold, but it is my favorite winter soup heated up. The second uses Clamato juice as a broth, but it's really delicious.

Cold Broccoli Soup

1 can Campbell's condensed chicken broth
    1 can Campbell's condensed cream of potato soup
    1 package frozen broccoli (10 oz box)
    1/2 medium onion, sliced
    1 large carrot, sliced
    1/2 tsp celery salt
    1/2 tsp curry powder
    1 bay leaf
    1/8 tsp pepper
    2 tsp fresh lemon juice
    2 cups buttermilk

Add everything except buttermilk to a large pot. Cover pot. Bring contents to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 12-15 minutes. With either a stick blender or in a regular blender, puree the contents of the pot. Return to the stove and stir in buttermilk. Simmer 5 minutes more, stirring often. Chill...or serve hot with a dollop of sour cream.

Sunshine Soup

1 large bottle of Clamato juice
    1 box firm tofu, diced
    2 cucumbers, seeded and diced
    1 can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1 large or 2 smaller tomatoes, diced
    1 red onion, diced
    a bunch of cilantro, chopped
    1 T olive oil
    1 T red wine vinegar
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 avocado, diced

Mix everything except the avocado together and chill for several hours to let the flavors blend. Just before serving, stir in the avocado.
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love gazpacho. I used to labour over my own (easy - just time-consuming grilling/peeling the peppers and tomatoes), until I found this amazing version in a carton by Alvalle. It is expensive but tastes exactly like homemade. The soup is refreshing, as is the ingredient list! Nothing on it you wouldn’t understand. It is weirdly filling too considering how low calorie it is (and no, I’m not on commission! I just love it!)