Warrior Dash - Mud Run

Options
I needed to try something different so I signed up for the Warrior Dash mud run. I'll be doing it with four others, all new to the event. I'm in fairly good shape (for an old guy) recently lost 55 lbs doing elliptical and weight training, but due to some shoulder issues I needed to move away from resistance training for awhile. I'm not a runner, have never enjoyed it, but felt I needed to move into something I'm capable of doing even though I'm not very good at it.
Has anyone completed a Warrior Run event?

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    If you are not currently running you might want to look into the couch to 5k program to prepare for the event. How long do you have to train?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Is it a 5k? The 5k I was in, I came in dead last. I’m a runner but I have a bad shoulder, my shoulder is what failed me. Mud runs are crossed off my bucket list. Yay!

Keep your friends close during the race, if you can. The friend I went with was the best, she helped me so much.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I did a race similar to that. Do you think you will be able to do the obstacles with your shoulder issues? A lot of them likely involve climbing of some sort.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I've done a couple, but it's been a few years. As of 2014, Warrior Dash was tame enough that anyone should be able to complete it. And they stopped the chipped timing that year, so nobody even cares how long it takes you. None of the obstacles required even as much upper body strength as a single pull-up. Tough Mudder requires teamwork, but Warrior Dash can be done solo. You'll be finding mud a week later in places you didn't even know you had places. Don't wear your best gear - it will never be clean again.
    fr6h2dofbdie.jpg
    Those socks were white when I put them on.

The finish line beer tastes great.

(edited for formatting issues)
  • billr9mm
    billr9mm Posts: 72 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    If you are not currently running you might want to look into the couch to 5k program to prepare for the event. How long do you have to train?

Unfortunately I'm way late because the race is scheduled for July 13th. I was going to do the couch to 5 K plan but lost track of time. I have been doing run / walks (can't run 5 K straight through) and still consider myself in pretty good shape. Been running hills also and feel like I'm getting stronger. And I would imagine with the group of old guys I'm doing this with we will be walking allot.
    Much like autumnblade75 mentioned WD seems to be the least competitive, so I feel I should be OK. Will continue to train with run / walk / hill running sessions to hopefully be the best I can be..
  • billr9mm
    Options
    Is it a 5k? The 5k I was in, I came in dead last. I’m a runner but I have a bad shoulder, my shoulder is what failed me. Mud runs are crossed off my bucket list. Yay!

Keep your friends close during the race, if you can. The friend I went with was the best, she helped me so much.

Thanks!! My shoulder issues are marginal, just seem to have issues with resistance training. Which is very unfortunate because I lost a ton of weight when I was able to lift consistently. I will be crossing this one off my bucket list soon as well!!
  • billr9mm
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I did a race similar to that. Do you think you will be able to do the obstacles with your shoulder issues? A lot of them likely involve climbing of some sort.

Thanks! My shoulder issues seem to only surface when I resistance train. I've got to see a doc soon after I complete this race to hopefully get them fixed so I can once again resistance train. For a 56 year old guy resistance training is so important. Right now I'm resting my shoulders in conjunction with ramping up my cardio with 3 mile run / walk sessions.
  • billr9mm
    Options
    I've done a couple, but it's been a few years. As of 2014, Warrior Dash was tame enough that anyone should be able to complete it. And they stopped the chipped timing that year, so nobody even cares how long it takes you. None of the obstacles required even as much upper body strength as a single pull-up. Tough Mudder requires teamwork, but Warrior Dash can be done solo. You'll be finding mud a week later in places you didn't even know you had places. Don't wear your best gear - it will never be clean again.
    fr6h2dofbdie.jpg
    Those socks were white when I put them on.

The finish line beer tastes great.

(edited for formatting issues)

Thanks! Great pic!!
    I have heard that many donate their shoes after the race because they are pretty much trashed afterwards! I guess WD has some type of way to get them clean again...I have a pair that I have slated to be trashed afterwards!
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    billr9mm wrote: »
    Thanks! Great pic!!
    I have heard that many donate their shoes after the race because they are pretty much trashed afterwards! I guess WD has some type of way to get them clean again...I have a pair that I have slated to be trashed afterwards!

Glad you appreciated the picture. I ran that course twice that day. The shoes started out black, and since they're a fairly minimal shoe, didn't hold mud in the cushioning. There was just no salvaging the socks or underwear. I saved my shirt, and have designated it my official mud-run shirt. The pants were black, so no real harm done. I don't recall trashing a sports bra, so maybe that laundered ok. Not that I think you'll have that concern... I found a couple more pictures - the muddy tub is probably a different Warrior Dash, but it's typical enough. The bruise was definitely the same day as the first pic - I remember levering myself over that wall with my inner thigh - twice.

uwwupsy2iwrd.jpgndb9aup5mx8u.jpg

I don't have any photos of my knees after a WD, but they tend to also involve crawling in gravel. My poor knees always end up looking like I've been savaged by squirrels.

Good times. I'm thinking maybe this year I should go run another Warrior Dash. July 13th is Joliet - perhaps I'd see you there!

• Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Warrior Dash is what I call a fun run. You can run, you can walk, you can skip most of the obstacles if you really wanted to, but where is the fun in that. You do you or what your group does. It is not a Tough Mudder or Spartan or Savage, it is much more relaxed and easy. What advice I will give you is; A) have fun, B ) be prepare to get wet and a little muddy, C) bring a change of clothes including underwear, and a trash bag (to carry you muddy wet cloths and shoes home in.) D) hydrate.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    bxsryzhmep2w.jpg
    did it in 2014. I was worried cuz I didn't run then. But it's only 5K and with obstacles, it breaks it up. It was fun in a challenging way. But like what others said, your clothes will be tossed. Shoes donated in the pile. Took change, sandals, jugs of water to rinse off and an old towel to clean myself! Good luck, Have FUN!
  • billr9mm
    Options
    @autumnblade75 Wow that leg looks nasty!! Hopefully you decide to make another run at it this year in Joliet! I'll be there!!
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    @autumnblade75 Wow that leg looks nasty!! Hopefully you decide to make another run at it this year in Joliet! I'll be there!!

It was spectacular. That's why I felt the need to document it in photos. I looked at the registration prices, and it doesn't look like I want to do a mud run $100 worth. Maybe next year, if I can remember to register in January, when it's only $60.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I’ve completed a warrior dash. Distance wise it’s a 5k. Personally, I felt that as far as the cardio aspect, it was a lot easier than a typical 5k. There were about a dozen obstacles, and at most of the obstacles I ended up having to stop and wait in line to get to the obstacle so pretty much lots of breaks in the running. Now as far as the obstacles, they vary and some are more difficult than others. Your take on how easy/difficult it is may vary. Have fun and be safe!
  • billr9mm
    Options
    @autumnblade75 Yeah that price is unfortunate. I have been attempting to talk others into joining our current team of four but the price is a bit of a hurdle. We had signed up awhile ago when it was much cheaper. Guess its a good thing we did not wait. Well maybe next year!
  • billr9mm
    Options
    @Sunshine_And_Sand Thanks for the info! I have heard about the lines, for me that would actually be a good thing to be able to rest up after the running and before starting the obstacle. The goal for my team is to have fun and to look forward to the beer afterwards.
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    The lines at the obstacles tend to be longer later in the day. I prefer to run early. You've already done Wave Selection by now, though. You signed up for a mud run - so long as you don't change your mind about getting muddy, you should have a blast! And the beer will taste great - even if it's just Miller Lite (but I seem to recall a better quality of beer than that...)

I'd already been thinking it's been too long since I got that muddy. I'm sure there will be an ad in my Facebook feed to remind me when the registration opens for 2020.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I did my first one at age 53 and 30 pounds heavier! You can do it and it is sooooooo fun
  • autumnblade75
    Options

Looks like that offer expired at midnight last night. It's cool. I have a party to co-host that day, anyway.