Best way to loose weight

Options
amioc
amioc Posts: 175 Member
Hi I’m new to the diet and fitness world I’m 32 and a bit flabby I’m 5ft3inches currently weigh 60kg My goal is to be 54kg. Could anyone please advise me on the best diet to loose weight and the best exercises to tone up? Many thanks ami

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    You are already well within the healthy BMI range

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    'Toning up' means building muscle. That requires some level of strength training. Think in terms of squats, bench presses, overhead lifts, crunches. If you don't have access to a gym, there are sites such as DAREBEE that offer workouts for varying levels of ability that use only your bodyweight. If you find that strength work in the gym bores you, some gym classes such as BodyPump will also tone you, but more slowly. G'luck!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Agree with ceiswyn. Toning means building muscle, however, you can't build muscle and lose weight at the same time because building muscle requires a calorie surplus. Weight training is recommended to maintain muscle mass so muscle isn't depleted during a cut.
  • amioc
    amioc Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi yes I did read it thank you it’s a big help 😊 my calories on MFP are set to 1,200 which I’m finding it very hard to stick too I’m hungry all the time! Do you think 1,200 is to low or is that what I need to stick too?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    amioc wrote: »
    Hi yes I did read it thank you it’s a big help 😊 my calories on MFP are set to 1,200 which I’m finding it very hard to stick too I’m hungry all the time! Do you think 1,200 is to low or is that what I need to stick too?

you got great advice on this question in the other thread, the rate of loss of 2lb/week was much too high thus the super low calories. set it for 0.5lb/week.

MFP also gives you the calories to eat assuming no added exercise. If you are working out you need to get a reasonable estimate of those calories and eat them.

Ensure to pick the correct activity level as well. Few people are actually sedentary. This is just normal level day to day how active you are (how much movement you get just going about your life).

the link above is terrific.

best diet for weight loss is one you can maintain for a longer period (and transition into maintenance) and hit your calorie deficit. what foods that includes depends on personal preference and what keeps that individual full. For overall health you want to get enough overall nutritious food (fruit, vegetable, ect.) and enough protein/fat.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer that the question you asked must be answered by each person individually. It is useful to read what others do, but ultimately you need to answer the question for yourself. What works for one person does not necessarily work for another.

Use the first month or so to experiment. Some feberal guidelines that I found helpful ...

1. When you are deciding what to do. Ask yourself if this is something you could do forever. Taking extreme measures to lose weight are often not sustainable, hence the yo-yo phenomenon.
    2. Focus on net calories, but assume your "exercise calories" are most likely over-stated. I typically ate back no more than 50% of my calories "earned" thru exercise.
    3. Experiment with macros. I found making sure that a higher protein and moderate carb diet helped me with the hunger issues. Others find a different balance heloful.
    4. 5 experiment with how many times a day.
    5. Experiment with calories. Sometimes as little as an extra 100 calories a day can make a difference in hunger management.

Finally, log as accurately and consistently as you can. Use the notes feature at the end of the day to record how you are feeling and any hunger or craving issues. This will give you the data you need to figure out what works for you.

You are making a lifestyle change. Don't skip this learning process. It can make all the difference between success and failure ... and whether you will be able to sustain your success long-term