Recovery heart rate

Options
So I have no idea what a recovery heart rate is? Or how to judge if it is good or bad? Can anyone help me I attached a pic of what it says?
Thank you greatly!
Sarah

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It's considered a sign of cardiovascular health for your heart rate to return quickly to normal after exercise.

This isn't an especially useful number though, because it needs context. What you were doing, how high your HR was, what happened immediately after you press stop (for example, a lot of the time when this is calculating I'm carrying my bike up the stairs). It looks like your watch tells you all of that, what I mean though is it's hard to track this over time because different types of runs, walks, etc, are naturally going to give different numbers.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    So I have no idea what a recovery heart rate is? Or how to judge if it is good or bad? Can anyone help me I attached a pic of what it says?
    Thank you greatly!
    Sarah

Heart rate recovery can be of use to anyone but as previously stated, it's context dependant.

Let's say you're doing some type of interval training, you can take a 60 second heart rate recovery measurement and then you can compare your numbers in future workouts of the same type to your previous ones and see how quickly your heart rate comes down in about 60 seconds.

Joel Jamieson at www.8weeksout.com has great material on heart rate training and monitoring.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Recovery HR is a popular way to supposedly track improvements in conditioning. The idea is that, the fitter you are, the faster your HR drops after a workout.

As noted above, there are a number of factors that can affect the consistency of HR recovery post exercise.

And even if you control for these factors, HR recovery loses its “diagnostic” value over time.

So enjoy whatever value you feel it gives you but don’t take it too seriously.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    For what it’s worth, there is a YMCA 3-minutes step test during which you step up and down a 12” inch step at a cadence of 24 steps a minute. The test has guidelines, age-based, that rates your conditioning based on what your hear rate is after, I believe, one minute.) If you’re interested, do s Google searchable and you’ll find it.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Another way to use the concept (other than measuring the time to recovery) is to select a HR at which you declare you have recovered from an interval effort. (Garmin watches do this automatically in "run mode.") The exact "recovery HR" chosen seems to me to be pretty arbitrary and can be chosen via personal preference.

First, you determine your max and resting HRs. For the max, I don't recommend relying on 220-age formula, that is more of a guideline. Instead, use one of the common methods described on various internet pages. I have determined mine by running a mile with a sprint at the end, then add 10 beats. (Yay, science! :D ) Your resting HR is what you get when you first wake up before moving much. You can measure it with a stopwatch and your finger on your neck it or get a Garmin to track it. Now, you calculate your HR training zones which are numbered 1 - 5 and represent the 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90% points from resting to max. Here's a handy calculator:

https://www.fitdigits.com/personalized-heart-rate-zones.html

So, HR interval training is basically working your HR up to the 90% level, then going easier until it recovers to zone 1 or 2 (or whatever the heck you want), then push it back to 90%. Repeat as many times as you can stand. Now you're an athlete!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Recovery is zone 1. It's "active recovery" during a workout.

If you aren't working out by HR, it's useless.

There is no good or bad. It just is.