How many calories do you lose per day per lb that you lose?

Options
Not sure how to explain this, I started off at 282lbs and my calorie goal for the day was 1890. I have now lost 18lbs and my calorie goal is 1790.

So is it approximately around 100 calories less per day for each 18lbs you lose or is it based on a ratio of your size so say for someone who is half my weight, they might only have to lose 9lbs to lose 100 calories per day in their allowance?

If you know what I mean!

(I know the allowance itself is based on a myriad of factors, Im just asking about how the reduction in calories works per lbs lost)

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    why not put your stats in MFP and use it as intended? it will update your calories as you input your progress weight.

it's a 250 calories per day deficit required to lose 0.5lb/week.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    ok i think i get your question. not sure it's as easy to throw a number as it will go down faster as you are smaller. right now it's like 10 calories per day less every 2lbs weight change (I am around 115lb; 5'1; female). but i never noticed it changing until near the end of this journey. so it went down less fast before.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    why not put your stats in MFP and use it as intended?

it's a 250 calories per day deficit required to lose 0.5lb/week.

I know that? Thats not what I asked. My stats are already in the programme hence why I know what its reduced for me.

Your calorie allowance goes down as you lose weight as you know. Im interested in how many lbs it takes to go down 100 calories per day as time goes on. At my current weight, its gone down 100 calories after 18lbs lost.

My question was, is that static, will it go down 100 cals after the next 18lbs or is it in ratio to your weight.
  • nooboots
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    nooboots wrote: »
    Not sure how to explain this, I started off at 282lbs and my calorie goal for the day was 1890. I have now lost 18lbs and my calorie goal is 1790.

So is it approximately around 100 calories less per day for each 18lbs you lose or is it based on a ratio of your size so say for someone who is half my weight, they might only have to lose 9lbs to lose 100 calories per day in their allowance?

If you know what I mean!

(I know the allowance itself is based on a myriad of factors, Im just asking about how the reduction in calories works per lbs lost)

Your weight factors into your BMR at about 4.5 calories per pound. So a person of the same height, age, and gender, would have a BMR of 45 calories more of they were 10 pounds heavier. Your BMR is then multiplied by your activity level. So depending on the activity level, the multiplier will affect how kuch it changes. For sedentary people, it will adjust 5.62 calories per pound. For very active people, 8.1 calories per pound. You level of weight doesn't affect it, so the change is standardized regardless of what weight you are at.

Ah this is what I was looking for, thank you.
  • nooboots
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    It is based on your BMR change multiplied by your activity factor as an estimate for your change in tdee

So as you lose weight your BMR changes.

MFP estimates your BMR using the Mifflin St Jeor formula.

You can use it to see how your weight loss will affect things.

Please note that your original weight loss rate may not be an appropriate continuing goal as you start losing more and more weight. As you start
    having less weight available to lose you should also start adjusting your deficit downward.

Last but not least remember that this whole weight loss thing has to be sustainable. A smaller deficit that you comply with is worth a lot more than a large deficit that makes you give up.

Thanks yes I know the concept, I was looking for the ratio.

Yes as time goes on I would change the rate of loss. It is currently set for 1lb per week as I want it slow and steady. At present it is coming off 2lbs per week. I am coming to the end of the 9th week and have lost 18lbs. I suspect this will slow down as time goes on. I still believe quite a lot of it is water, however its still less weight on my joints!

So once it slows to 1lb per week I will stick to that for a good 80lbs or so I think. There is a lot to come off.
  • nooboots
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »

If you know what I mean!

Your weight factors into your BMR at about 4.5 calories per pound. So a person of the same height, age, and gender, would have a BMR of 45 calories more of they were 10 pounds heavier. Your BMR is then multiplied by your activity level. So depending on the activity level, the multiplier will affect how kuch it changes. For sedentary people, it will adjust 5.62 calories per pound. For very active people, 8.1 calories per pound. You level of weight doesn't affect it, so the change is standardized regardless of what weight you are at.

Hold on, Im trying to work this out now and feel I have misunderstood

So it works out like this?

264lbs x 4.5 = 1188
    1188 x 5.62 = BMR

or is it

264lb x 4.5 = 1188
    264 x 5.62 = 1483
    1188+1483 = BMR

That doesnt seem to equate with my stats on MFP

(by the way Im asking this just out of interest in how it works)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Mike is saying that per lb lost you lose 4.5 cal of BMR.

Because BMR is multipled by AF to get TDEE, the amount of Cals that you lose due to the weight change get multiplied by your activity factor. So a 4.5 Cal BMR change per 1lb lost becomes 5.62 Cal (i.e. BMRx1.25) for sedentary or 8.1 Cal (i.e. BMR x 1.8) for very active.

I haven't double checked the formula to confirm Mike's findings. I am assuming they're correct. You can see the results of the BMR calculation MFP uses by going to: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

as far as I remember the equation includes age, sex and height so the amount of Cal per lb is not solely weight dependent, however it may well change in a linear fashion when all else (other than weight) remain constant.

Looking at the formula which includes 10 x kg in the calculation, I can see where Mike comes up with 4.536 Cal per lb lost all else being constant.
  • nooboots
    Options

Because BMR is multipled by AF to get TDEE, the amount of Cals that you lose due to the weight change get multiplied by your activity factor. So a 4.5 Cal BMR change per 1lb lost becomes 5.62 Cal (i.e. BMRx1.25) for sedentary or 8.1 Cal (i.e. BMR x 1.8) for very active.

I haven't double checked the formula to confirm Mike's findings. I am assuming they're correct. You can see the results of the BMR calculation MFP uses by going to: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

as far as I remember the equation includes age, sex and height so the amount of Cal per lb is not solely weight dependent, however it may well change in a linear fashion when all else (other than weight) remain constant.

Looking at the formula which includes 10 x kg in the calculation, I can see where Mike comes up with 4.536 Cal per lb lost all else being constant.

Oh ok, I think I get it. Im just nosy and wondering how it works, its quite interesting I think.

And if Im really honest I trying to mentally prepare for eating less. I think I would struggle to eat much less than around 1500 per day. Still mustnt think of the negatives. Im quite pleased with how things are going and want to carry on.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I lose 1.78 calories per day that I am in a 1000 calorie deficit.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I misread the title question - I lose 6.23 calories per pound.
  • nooboots
    Options
    Well I find this really interesting (Im a bit nerdy). I went into another website to play around with the figures as I didnt want to change my weight on this site as I keep getting glitches where its changing my weight without me knowing

My BMR is about 1600ish,, just to keep me alive. Im sedentary so when I add that in, it gives just under 2300 as a calorie requirement. So around 700 cals a day are needed to move me round, take me to and from work, stay awake, fidget, speak to people, go shopping etc etc. When you think about it, thats not that much energy to drag me around.
  • nooboots
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

That seems an awful lot.

I went from 266 to 265 on Wednesday and the calorie allowance didnt reduce

Then today I lost another lb (despite saying I wasnt going to weigh myself for a couple of weeks!) and only then did it take 10lbs off.

So around 5 cals per lb?
  • NovusDies
    Options

That seems an awful lot.

I went from 266 to 265 on Wednesday and the calorie allowance didnt reduce

Then today I lost another lb (despite saying I wasnt going to weigh myself for a couple of weeks!) and only then did it take 10lbs off.

So around 5 cals per lb?

I have seen a huge decrease in my BMR since beginning. Overall my calorie loss has been 5.45 calories per pound.
  • NovusDies
    edited June 2019
    Options

Oh ok, I think I get it. Im just nosy and wondering how it works, its quite interesting I think.

And if Im really honest I trying to mentally prepare for eating less. I think I would struggle to eat much less than around 1500 per day. Still mustnt think of the negatives. Im quite pleased with how things are going and want to carry on.

For me there has been a reversal at 2 different times, 1 of them recently. As I have lost weight I have increased my NEAT. The first time was an unexpected ~150 calorie boost and recently it has been another ~200 calories added back to my day.
  • nooboots
    Options
    Whats neat?
  • nooboots
    Options
    Whats neat?

Old hotels are neat.

NEAT is Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis - or a fancy way of saying all the moving you do during the day that is not exercise like walking to the mailbox to retrieve your mail or taking your dog out because he is whining to watch him chase bugs and nothing else.

Oh ok, so you changed your activity level from sedentary to the next one, to the next one and so on and so on?

I suppose that means I have to start moving around more!

I think I might do that once I get lighter. Things are still hard work at the moment. Knackered after just doing a bit of hoovering.