No cook backpacking food?

NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
Any suggestions? I'm planning to spend tomorrow night on the trail. I'd like to bring an SLR and a tripod, and I'm trying a smaller pack then I'm used to. So I'd like to keep weight and bulk to a minimum.

Any suggestions? I don't eat meat.

Replies

• AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    edited June 2019
    hate to be *that* person...but... trail mix? ;)

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    How about some of those tuna meals in a pouch? Not sure what their nutrients are, though.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I agree with trail mix or mixed nuts, dried fruit, meal replacement drink to mix with water, you could make oat bites or some people call them energy balls, granola bars or something like a KIND bar/cliff bar, you could pack blow pops for a quick "perk up" snack. hmmm...what else.....
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    How about some of those tuna meals in a pouch? Not sure what their nutrients are, though.

I just got back from a few days backpacking and tuna pouches were awesome on the trail! Nice source of protein, but not sure if that counts as "meat" or not...

If you aren't cooking (not even boiling water) then I guess you're stuck with shake mixes and protein bars?
  • WNMorlandpark
    WNMorlandpark Posts: 3 Member
    Beef jerky, peanut butter packets, nuts/seeds, protein bars
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited June 2019
    Lara Bars (made of nuts & dried fruit); granola bars; protein bars; dried fruit; cheese; peanut butter, dried fruit and tortilla sandwiches; premake quesadillas or bean and cheese tacos; fruit and/or applesauce cups...
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Oh ya! Peanut butter! JIF makes little single serve ones, you could just throw a few in your bag instead of having to get a whole jar.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I agree with tuna pouches, if you eat fish. Also, trail mix, protein/granola bars (Pinterest has some great recipes if you want to make your own ahead of time), salmon jerky, moon cheese.

I know you said "no cook" but if you will be able to heat water (there are some great super-light backpacking "stoves" out there), you could dehydrate all sorts of home-cooked meals and just the meals to the hot water and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. I get a lot of recipes from Pinterest for that too. Or (again, if you have the ability to heat water), you could get a dried soup mix and add a tuna pouch- very filling and yummy.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Roasted (in advanced) chickpeas
    Olives

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,572 Member
    I have a big stash of protein bars, will definitely bring a few. Everything there I need to pick up tonight.

Dried fruit is a great idea. I can pick that up at Trader Joe's, they have freeze dried berries that with almost nothing and make a good trail dessert.

I'll probably bring a loaf of hearty bread and some cheddar.

Happy hiking! Have fun!
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Peanut butter and crackers. One square meal bars are awesome not sure if they are sold outside nz but I'm sure there are similar elsewear, a meal in a bar 1/3 of daily requirements in a bar.
  • NorthCascades
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    I agree with tuna pouches, if you eat fish. Also, trail mix, protein/granola bars (Pinterest has some great recipes if you want to make your own ahead of time), salmon jerky, moon cheese.

I know you said "no cook" but if you will be able to heat water (there are some great super-light backpacking "stoves" out there), you could dehydrate all sorts of home-cooked meals and just the meals to the hot water and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. I get a lot of recipes from Pinterest for that too. Or (again, if you have the ability to heat water), you could get a dried soup mix and add a tuna pouch- very filling and yummy.

I have the Snow Peak one, I don't know if this is still the case but it was the lightest dinner available when I bought it. But then I also need the pot to boil water, and two fuel canisters. (I ran out once, cold oatmeal.). So I'm trying to leave all that behind. I'll be bringing iodine though because the stove is usually plan b if my water filter dies.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Oats are a backpackers best friend. Incredibly light weight, have loads of calories/weight ratio. Bring packs of honey, molasses, peanut butter, etc. to taste.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Smoked salmon if you eat fish
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Hard cheese, nuts, apples, dried fruit.
  • jcelj
    jcelj Posts: 4 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »

I just got back from a few days backpacking and tuna pouches were awesome on the trail! Nice source of protein, but not sure if that counts as "meat" or not...

If you aren't cooking (not even boiling water) then I guess you're stuck with shake mixes and protein bars?

Funny bc I was just talking to my friend yesterday and he said he was in bear country a while back while hiking and camping and his friend had tuna pouches and the rest of them were freaking out that it would attract bears lol. He made the guy throw them out when he heard a bear around one night they were out there haha
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,674 Member
    Any type of sandwich is good for an overnight trip. I'd bring a couple of bagels for lunch and breakfast and either cream cheese or peanut butter or cheese to put on them, then a good large deli sandwich for dinner with some cheesecake or cookies for dessert. I used to stop at a deli on my way out of town when I first started hiking and that was my favorite first night dinner. If you want to make your own, then sausage or ham or chicken sandwiches are good. Tuna doesn't have much in the way of calories, but the foil packets can be tasty.
  • NorthCascades
    edited June 2019
    jcelj wrote: »

Funny bc I was just talking to my friend yesterday and he said he was in bear country a while back while hiking and camping and his friend had tuna pouches and the rest of them were freaking out that it would attract bears lol. He made the guy throw them out when he heard a bear around one night they were out there haha

If you're ever in a situation like that again, here's what to do: Bring salmon & berry scent, and spray it on someone else's tent.