Skinny fat

Anyone else here super lean in everywhere but your stomach?? I know that is a problem area for pretty much everyone but my dilemma is that I’m already a small guy. I’m 36yo and weight is at 160lbs currently and I’ve gotten as low as 148 and I still had fat on my abs! I know age has to be a factor bc I never had this problem in my 20s. It’s depressing because I don’t want to lose more weight but I want the fat gone too. I’m starting to accept the fact I’m just never going to lose that last bit around the midsection.

Side note: I have been training for a year. I’m naturally just lean. I have a hard time gaining a lot of muscle mass or even fat for that matter. I can lose weight really fast, but just don’t want to have to go below 150lbs. Wish I could gain more muscle :(

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    I agree with Stef that recomp is probably the way to go for you. Muscle gain is often slower than commonly promised and therefore expected. I was in a similar situation in early 2015; I was unhappy with my body composition at 172 or so. I had gotten down as low as 159 in 2013 (6'1" for reference) but I still didn't really like how I looked at that weight either. I really took up lifting in 2015, switching from p90x-type workouts. It's taken some time and patience but I've gone from ~18-20% body fat to around 12-13% if my metrics are right. I'm still trying to get leaner but it's getting there. For the year I've been right around 176-177 and, though I'm not 100% satisfied, I'm way happier now than I was 4+ years ago.

Prioritize protein, consistently eat right around maintenance, and bust it in the gym. The r/fitness subreddit has a really good repository of links to vetted programs in their wiki. I didn't find it until mid-2017 and I think I definitely left something on the table before then.
  • jcelj
    jcelj Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you both! I thnk my problem is that when I cut, I go way too low in calories. I keep protein high but calories are still low. I’m going to try a more steady and slow pace, in hopes of finding that middle ground where I can build muscle and slowly burn the fat. I’m in this for the long haul, so if takes me years to get where I want, then so be it. I appreciate the advice!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Personally, I struggle to stay lower than 500 under my TDEE when cutting.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    jcelj wrote: »
    Thank you both! I thnk my problem is that when I cut, I go way too low in calories. I keep protein high but calories are still low. I’m going to try a more steady and slow pace, in hopes of finding that middle ground where I can build muscle and slowly burn the fat. I’m in this for the long haul, so if takes me years to get where I want, then so be it. I appreciate the advice!

If a recomp - you don't go low in calories by any amount.
    You eat at maintenance.
    The building of the muscle uses up more of what's eaten - requiring fat to supply more of the daily stuff - just like in a diet if no lifting was being done.

It has been noted that the excess calories required to build an extra lb of muscle is around the 3500 level.

Sadly when it's lost and not built up it only provides around 800 cal / lb if diet is so foolish to cause that. (or was that 700)

Anyway, 2 lbs of muscle gained in a month isn't unheard for beginner with a great program being done, though could be more in prime of life and eating in surplus.
    That is 500 cal daily difference. And 2 lbs of fat lost, especially if most comes from small area - could be very noticeable.

If not a beginner, or can't do that great of a lifting program, 1lb gain/lost may be it. Still, 1 lb of chunky fat on stomach gone should be noticeable.
  • jcelj
    jcelj Posts: 4 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    jcelj wrote: »

If a recomp - you don't go low in calories by any amount.
    You eat at maintenance.
    The building of the muscle uses up more of what's eaten - requiring fat to supply more of the daily stuff - just like in a diet if no lifting was being done.

It has been noted that the excess calories required to build an extra lb of muscle is around the 3500 level.

Sadly when it's lost and not built up it only provides around 800 cal / lb if diet is so foolish to cause that. (or was that 700)

Anyway, 2 lbs of muscle gained in a month isn't unheard for beginner with a great program being done, though could be more in prime of life and eating in surplus.
    That is 500 cal daily difference. And 2 lbs of fat lost, especially if most comes from small area - could be very noticeable.

If not a beginner, or can't do that great of a lifting program, 1lb gain/lost may be it. Still, 1 lb of chunky fat on stomach gone should be noticeable.

Great point! I am going to give this a shot. I just gotta learn some patience in all of this