MAJOR REVELATION

Options
bear2303
bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
Most people that are at a healthy weight actually have to TRY to stay there, they actively watch what they eat and even if they don't count calories they are still mindful of what they consume and the portions that they consume. I know there are some anomalies but by and large if you are healthy and slimmer you watch what you eat. I know it sounds SO silly and basic but I honestly JUST came to that realization.

I have spent SO much of my life thinking that i was just unlucky that i didn't have a good metabolism and being in the mindset of I'm either losing weight (and restricting an insane amount) or just eating everything I want without any thought to calories or ramifications on my body because I just didn't think I had any control over it.

I'm slowly changing my mindset so that my end goal is not a number on a scale but is literally just the rest of my life. I need to do this for the rest of my life in order to not gain weight. There is a weird liberation in that. Makes me not worry about how long it's taking or that if i go up a pound or two in a week but this whole thing is literally LIFE LONG.

Just thought i would share because again, i know its so silly and basic but i honestly JUST realized that.

Replies

• liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Aren't those realizations great? I had a similar one shortly after joining MFP. It's still highlighted and pinned to the top of my Google Keep.

"I just did a deep dive on Google about TDEE and had my mind blown. It never occurred to me that I could track my stats and figure out my own TDEE. Weight has always been a shame based thing for me. This concept of tracking what I do to scientifically unravel and solve the problem is huge and awesome."

That was when I stopped looking for the magic solution that would allow me to eat as much as I wanted without accountability. It really has been a gamechanger for my mindset.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this realization is happening early in your life... at least a lot earlier than it happened in mine. But whenever it happens it is kind of freeing. I realized that I absolutely could not worry about weight loss anymore. I had to worry about today and what keeps me in the vicinity of happy and satisfied today. For me weight loss is a bonus prize or a little gift I unwrap occasionally when the new low weight finally appears on the scale. The only scale I watch like a hawk is my food scale. The other is used to make sure I lose weight a healthy pace, eat the right number of calories most days, and document my journey downwards.
  • bear2303
    bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Hopefully this realization is happening early in your life... at least a lot earlier than it happened in mine. But whenever it happens it is kind of freeing. I realized that I absolutely could not worry about weight loss anymore. I had to worry about today and what keeps me in the vicinity of happy and satisfied today. For me weight loss is a bonus prize or a little gift I unwrap occasionally when the new low weight finally appears on the scale. The only scale I watch like a hawk is my food scale. The other is used to make sure I lose weight a healthy pace, eat the right number of calories most days, and document my journey downwards.

I mean I wish it had happened sooner for sure... I’m almost 33 and have been battling my weight and have had issues with food since I was 8 or 9 years old.

I love everything you said though, weight loss is a gift all the rest is what really matters.