16:8 Intermittent Fasting Style

Options
Hello! I'm just curious if anyone has had success with the 16 hour fasting window and 8 hour eating window style of intermittent fasting? I've been doing it and just curious if anyone else has seen success. Also, do you do it every day or so many days out of the week?

Replies

• Makingchanges17
    Makingchanges17 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    It doesn't affect fat loss any better than a typical eating schedule.. if that's what you mean by "success".

I appreciate your response and I really am truly asking about anything I guess. I've noticed that cravings have diminished for me so I am just generally curious :). Thank you for your response!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    What kind of success are you looking for? Success from people who have been on it for a couple of months or less that lost some weight or success from people who achieved their weight goals by doing it?

I'm looking for both which doesn't help I know. I'm hoping it'll just generally help me feel less sluggish and if it happens to help me get to my goal then yay :). So far it has helped cravings and bloating lessen. I'm not looking for it as the answer to anything but just a tool that helps aid things along I guess and curious as to how it has helped others.

Maybe you should temporarily decrease your deficit to see if you can acclimate. Are you getting enough protein?

BTW, I have eaten this way for a very long time. That won't mean I can help because you and I are different but I might have some ideas.
  • LittleLightShine
    LittleLightShine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love intermittent fasting and have had success with that eating style. I do both 16:8 and 20:4. It definitely helps with my cravings and I prefer to have one or two more fulfilling meals. I started doing it for the autophagy benefit because I am so worried about loose skin and then found the eating plan just works really well for me.
  • Makingchanges17
    Options
    What kind of success are you looking for? Success from people who have been on it for a couple of months or less that lost some weight or success from people who achieved their weight goals by doing it?

I'm looking for both which doesn't help I know. I'm hoping it'll just generally help me feel less sluggish and if it happens to help me get to my goal then yay :). So far it has helped cravings and bloating lessen. I'm not looking for it as the answer to anything but just a tool that helps aid things along I guess and curious as to how it has helped others.

Maybe you should temporarily decrease your deficit to see if you can acclimate. Are you getting enough protein?

BTW, I have eaten this way for a very long time. That won't mean I can help because you and I are different but I might have some ideas.

I decreased a little bit but still had the cravings and found myself just really hungry. I have seemed to fill up a lot faster now with the 16:8 and cravings have diminished and I have noticed feeling less bloated when waking up and digestion has been less sluggish. I get quite a bit of protein in during the day and also increased my vegetable intake and decreased carbs.
  • Makingchanges17
    Options
    I absolutely love intermittent fasting and have had success with that eating style. I do both 16:8 and 20:4. It definitely helps with my cravings and I prefer to have one or two more fulfilling meals. I started doing it for the autophagy benefit because I am so worried about loose skin and then found the eating plan just works really well for me.

That's so awesome!!! I have definitely noticed my cravings decreasing which is really nice! I'm so happy it has been going well for you!
  • Makingchanges17
    Options
    I’m currently following 18/6 but am flexible with my fasting and feeding periods because I’m solidly in maintenance at the lower end of my maintenance weight range. Did 22/2 a while back for 45 consecutive days. Have practiced IF every day since about middle of September 2018. Practiced it for various stints in the past beginning with Lent 2009.

It’s great and I attribute my current successes to it along with other tools in my fitness, health and wellness toolbox.

That's definitely very helpful for me! So you didn't noticed increased fatigue during the 45 days? Thank you so much for the response!
  • Makingchanges17
    Options
    You’ll get a lot of haters here unfortunately, as soon as you say IF.
    I’m doing it and have done it in the past with great success. Lost 15kilos the first time, shooting for that again now (got slack and put it all back on)
    I’m gradually cutting back on carbs but I’m not going to go full keto, I count my calories and most days after exercise ive netted about 1500. It helps me with bloating, acid reflux and general other gut problems. I don’t feel so heavy around my period either.
    I do recommend keeping up your electrolytes during the fasting period, it helps with headaches and tiredness.

I'm okay with haters, the big thing is that health and wellness is not a one-size-fits-all approach. People have strong feelings for almost anything, and if this doesn't seem to align with me (so far it is) then I will switch things up. That's so awesome that it has helped you! I've noticed reduction in bloating as well and has helped with cravings and GI stuff.

I appreciate the feedback so much! And the tips for headache reduction and fatigue. Thank you again!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

I decreased a little bit but still had the cravings and found myself just really hungry. I have seemed to fill up a lot faster now with the 16:8 and cravings have diminished and I have noticed feeling less bloated when waking up and digestion has been less sluggish. I get quite a bit of protein in during the day and also increased my vegetable intake and decreased carbs.

There are two schools of thought on this. One is that you will eventually acclimate given enough time and the other is that your hunger and energy levels will continue to plague you because you are not a good/natural fit. I think both answers are right and it just depends on the individual.

Are you exercising and eating back a portion of your exercise calories?

Are you exercising before you have eaten? Fasted exercise is loved by some and hated by others.

If you are delaying breakfast is that when you are hungry? Perhaps you can try reversing it and start eating in the morning and stop at lunch. It is less common because so many people are accustomed to a large dinner. I eat practically none. In fact, I have had no dinner tonight and I didn't eat it last night either. Just realized.

• Makingchanges17
    Options

There are two schools of thought on this. One is that you will eventually acclimate given enough time and the other is that your hunger and energy levels will continue to plague you because you are not a good/natural fit. I think both answers are right and it just depends on the individual.

Are you exercising and eating back a portion of your exercise calories?

Are you exercising before you have eaten? Fasted exercise is loved by some and hated by others.

If you are delaying breakfast is that when you are hungry? Perhaps you can try reversing it and start eating in the morning and stop at lunch. It is less common because so many people are accustomed to a large dinner. I eat practically none. In fact, I have had no dinner tonight and I didn't eat it last night either. Just realized.

I do exercise and sometimes eat back the calories, not always. I usually eat 1-1.5 hours beforehand. I haven't been as hungry now doing the 16:8. Dinner is a family thing for me so I want to make sure I am eating with my kiddo. I'm typically hungrier after work anyway so it works out.
  • Makingchanges17
    Options
    You’ll get a lot of haters here unfortunately, as soon as you say IF.
    I’m doing it and have done it in the past with great success. Lost 15kilos the first time, shooting for that again now (got slack and put it all back on)
    I’m gradually cutting back on carbs but I’m not going to go full keto, I count my calories and most days after exercise ive netted about 1500. It helps me with bloating, acid reflux and general other gut problems. I don’t feel so heavy around my period either.
    I do recommend keeping up your electrolytes during the fasting period, it helps with headaches and tiredness.

I'm okay with haters, the big thing is that health and wellness is not a one-size-fits-all approach. People have strong feelings for almost anything, and if this doesn't seem to align with me (so far it is) then I will switch things up. That's so awesome that it has helped you! I've noticed reduction in bloating as well and has helped with cravings and GI stuff.

I appreciate the feedback so much! And the tips for headache reduction and fatigue. Thank you again!

People assume if you push back on the magicks of IF you hate it. In reality most people will agree it is a useful tool it is just not proven to do anything above and beyond being a tool in humans.

And I agree it's a tool for sure :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I have had success using 16:8 IF to lose,5# of weight in 1 month after stalling for 3 months and am now successfully using it to maintain my wt at the desired level after achieving that short term weight loss.

It's just a tool to control how much & when you eat. Results will differ based on how you implement it.
  • Makingchanges17
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I have had success using 16:8 IF to lose,5# of weight in 1 month after stalling for 3 months and am now successfully using it to maintain my wt at the desired level after achieving that short term weight loss.

It's just a tool to control how much & when you eat. Results will differ based on how you implement it.

I'm happy to hear it has helped you! I definitely don't use it as a catch all but a tool like you said :). Thank you so much!